Starting a new business? Get 40% off our accountancy services for 3 months! 😀


Although employers don’t have to pay their employees whilst on Jury Service, you are legally bound to allow them time off. So that workers aren’t out of pocket as a result of their Jury Service, the court gives them a Certificate of Loss of Earnings. We explain what employers need to do with this.

Completing a Certificate of Loss of Earnings

Employers complete the form to confirm the earnings their employee misses out on by being in court. This is so that the courts know how much they must compensate jurors for their loss of earnings.

The form should include the details of the days and hours that an employee works during a week. It should show the net average earnings for each day that the employee usually works.

 payroll service

For part-time and shift workers, only the days that they appear on the rota are included.

The court will also want to know whether an employee is able to return to work at any point during their two week service. This is because jurors might not need to attend the court every day. The court won’t compensate jurors for days they’re able to return to work. This isn’t always possible though, if the nature of the job means you need to arrange cover for them.

About The Author

Suzanne Goodier-Dodson

I'm a Payroll Manager with a degree in Mathematics, responsible for overseeing every aspect of payroll for our clients. In my spare time, I love to travel and going to gigs. Read my Staff Spotlight.

More posts by this author
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

Read more posts...

Umbrella Companies for Self-Employed Contractors

When you set up in business as a contractor you might either work as a sole trader or as a limited company….

Read More

Get Ready for Small Business Saturday UK 2022

Small Business Saturday started in the US in 2010, on the first Saturday following Thanksgiving. It aims to encourage shoppers to consider…

Read More

Architects and Tax

Architecture is a highly diverse sector when it comes to tax. It’s partly down to the type of businesses that carry out…

Read More
Back to Blog...

Confirm Transactions

The number of monthly transactions you have entered based on your turnover seem high. A transaction is one bookkeeping entry such as a sale, purchase, payment or receipt. Are you sure this is correct?

Yes, submit my quote
No, let me change it

Please contact our sales team if you’re unsure

VAT Returns

It is unlikely you will need this service, unless you are voluntarily registered for VAT.

Are you sure this is correct?

Yes, the business is VAT registered
No, let me change it

Call us on 020 3355 4047 if you’re not sure.


You only need this service if you want us to complete the bookkeeping on your behalf.

Would you prefer to complete your own bookkeeping?


Call us on 020 3355 4047 if you’re not sure.