Starting a new business? Get 40% off our accountancy services for 3 months! 😀


Your UTR number is shown on the registration letter you receive from HMRC, as well as on other documents they send. They also call it a ‘tax reference’.

Do I have a UTR number?

When an individual or partnership registers for self-assessment, HMRC will issue a Unique Tax Reference (UTR). It’s a 10 digit number, which is sometimes shown with the letter ‘K’ after it.

HMRC also automatically assign a UTR to limited companies when they are formed. a UTR number to it. A company’s UTR number looks a bit different, and usually begins with 3 numbers, then a 10 digit reference number and the letter ‘A’. For example, 123 0123456789 A

What if I lose my UTR?

If you can’t find any letters or documents from HMRC with your UTR on, you might be able to find it by signing into your Personal Tax Account. If you still struggle to find it, contact HMRC.

Tax return services

Employer’s reference number and accounts office reference number

When a business registers as an employer with HMRC it will receive an employer’s reference number, and an accounts office reference number.

These are shown on the confirmation of registration letter sent out by HMRC.

The first 3 digits of the employer’s reference number relate to the PAYE office looking after your account. The remaining digits are a unique reference.

The accounts office reference number is made up of 13 characters, in the following format; 123PA12345678. You can use the online HMRC checker to verify this number.

You can contact the HMRC employer helpline to request these reference numbers again if you misplace them.

Read our guide to UK tax and NI for small businesses, self-employed workers, and employers. If you have other questions, ask one of our accountants for free, or get started with an instant quote for accountancy services.

About The Author

Beth-Anne Bruce

I'm an experienced and fully AAT and ACCA qualified accountant, who is enthusiastic about helping business owners succeed. I also love cooking and needlepoint (at different times!). Learn more about Beth.

More posts by this author
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

Read more posts...

Umbrella Companies for Self-Employed Contractors

When you set up in business as a contractor you might either work as a sole trader or as a limited company….

Read More

Get Ready for Small Business Saturday UK 2022

Small Business Saturday started in the US in 2010, on the first Saturday following Thanksgiving. It aims to encourage shoppers to consider…

Read More

Architects and Tax

Architecture is a highly diverse sector when it comes to tax. It’s partly down to the type of businesses that carry out…

Read More
Back to Blog...

Confirm Transactions

The number of monthly transactions you have entered based on your turnover seem high. A transaction is one bookkeeping entry such as a sale, purchase, payment or receipt. Are you sure this is correct?

Yes, submit my quote
No, let me change it

Please contact our sales team if you’re unsure

VAT Returns

It is unlikely you will need this service, unless you are voluntarily registered for VAT.

Are you sure this is correct?

Yes, the business is VAT registered
No, let me change it

Call us on 020 3355 4047 if you’re not sure.


You only need this service if you want us to complete the bookkeeping on your behalf.

Would you prefer to complete your own bookkeeping?


Call us on 020 3355 4047 if you’re not sure.