Starting a new business? Get 40% off our accountancy services for 3 months! 😎


It is possible to claim tax relief on maintenance payments you make to a former spouse or civil partner. The tax relief that you claim will reduce the income tax that you pay, so it’s worth noting that you won’t benefit from claiming the relief if you don’t currently pay tax.

Who is eligible for Maintenance Payments Relief?

You’ll only be able to claim tax relief on maintenance payments if either you or your former spouse or civil partner was born before 6th April 1935. The payments must be made under a court order, and you must be divorced, separated, or the civil partnership must have dissolved.

If your ex-partner has remarried or is now in a new civil partnership then you won’t be able to claim tax relief on maintenance payments that you make to them, though payments you make for your children may still be eligible if they are 21 or younger.


Comprehensive tax return services

From only £24.50 per month

Learn more

How much tax relief is available for maintenance payments?

The amount of tax relief that you can claim depends on the amount of maintenance paid during the year. The relief is worth 10% of the payments that you make, up to a maximum of £326 worth of relief. Unfortunately you can’t claim tax relief on maintenance payments that you make on a voluntary basis.

Learn more about our online accountancy services to get help with your tax. Call 020 3355 4047 and get an instant online quote.

About The Author

Lee Murphy

MAAT and ICPA accountant, with a passion for making accountancy and bookkeeping accessible. Other interests include cloud-based software development for web and mobile access, keeping fit, reading, and entrepreneurship.

More posts by this author
Notify of
1 Comment
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Jeannette Millward
Jeannette Millward
26th April 2018 2:10 pm

Can you claim tax relief for child maintenance if you’re self employed??

Read more posts...

Maternity Pay for Self-Employed People

Being self-employed can offer the kind of freedom and flexibility many of us dream about. But if you’re looking to start or…

Read More

What are Payments on Account?

Payments on account are a type of advance payment that you might need to make towards your Self Assessment tax bill. In…

Read More

Staff Spotlight: Aaron Parkinson, Semi-Senior Accountant

This month we spoke to Aaron Parkinson, Semi-Senior Accountant at The Accountancy Partnership! Give an overview of the duties, functions and responsibilities…

Read More
Back to Blog...

Confirm Transactions

The number of monthly transactions you have entered based on your turnover seem high. A transaction is one bookkeeping entry such as a sale, purchase, payment or receipt. Are you sure this is correct?

Yes, submit my quote
No, let me change it

Please contact our sales team if you’re unsure

VAT Returns

It is unlikely you will need this service, unless you are voluntarily registered for VAT.

Are you sure this is correct?

Yes, the business is VAT registered
No, let me change it

Call us on 020 3355 4047 if you’re not sure.


You will receive our bookkeeping software Pandle for free, as part of your package.

You can use this to complete your own bookkeeping, or we can provide a quote to complete your bookkeeping for you.

Please select and option below:

I will do my own bookkeeping
I want you to do my bookkeeping

Call us on 020 3355 4047 if you’re not sure.