Starting a new business? Get 40% off our accountancy services for 3 months! 😀


The sale of electric and hybrid cars have seen a massive boom over the last couple of years. Some people buy these cars as an eco-friendly alternative to the large petrol engines and soon to be phased out diesel engines.

Their increasing popularity saw HMRC introduce mileage reimbursement rates for hybrid and electric vehicles in 2018. Find out more about the benefits and mileage rates for electric vehicles.


Does the government offer grants for electric vehicles?

The UK government does offer a grant for those buying electric vehicles, though the transport secretary Grant Shapps has indicated these could be scrapped. For cars, the maximum grant available is £3,500, which is deducted by the dealer or manufacturer at the point of sale.

Whilst the grant can’t be used for used vehicles, there are grants available for other types of vehicle, such as vans and motorcycles. Check the full list of vehicles eligible for the plug-in grant.


instant quotes for online accountancy

Can I still claim back mileage expenses for my electric or hybrid car?

HMRC do offer mileage expenses for business travel, though different rules apply depending on who owns the car – which can make it difficult to work out!

Mileage rates for employees using a company car

Employees who drive a company car are paid mileage based on the size and type of engine.

Business mileage rates using a personal car

If you use a personal vehicle for business or your employees use their own car for your business, the rates are a bit different. This is because the expenses don’t just cover fuel, they also cover the cost of running the car too.

These are known as Mileage Allowance Payments. The rates are based on the type of vehicle which is used, and how many miles per year are traveled.

Getting help with mileage claims

As you can see, the rules are a bit complicated! Many are calling on the government to put a more straightforward method of working it all out in place, but until that happens, the best thing you can do is get the help of an expert. If you have an accountant, make sure you get their advice before claiming for anything.

You might also be interested in:

About The Author

Christopher Jones

Forensics graduate-turned copywriter and blogger. I love turning complex topics into easy to understand, yet engaging pieces of content.

More posts by this author
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

Read more posts...

Umbrella Companies for Self-Employed Contractors

When you set up in business as a contractor you might either work as a sole trader or as a limited company….

Read More

Get Ready for Small Business Saturday UK 2022

Small Business Saturday started in the US in 2010, on the first Saturday following Thanksgiving. It aims to encourage shoppers to consider…

Read More

Architects and Tax

Architecture is a highly diverse sector when it comes to tax. It’s partly down to the type of businesses that carry out…

Read More
Back to Blog...

Confirm Transactions

The number of monthly transactions you have entered based on your turnover seem high. A transaction is one bookkeeping entry such as a sale, purchase, payment or receipt. Are you sure this is correct?

Yes, submit my quote
No, let me change it

Please contact our sales team if you’re unsure

VAT Returns

It is unlikely you will need this service, unless you are voluntarily registered for VAT.

Are you sure this is correct?

Yes, the business is VAT registered
No, let me change it

Call us on 020 3355 4047 if you’re not sure.


You only need this service if you want us to complete the bookkeeping on your behalf.

Would you prefer to complete your own bookkeeping?


Call us on 020 3355 4047 if you’re not sure.