Starting a new business? Get 40% off our accountancy services for 3 months! 😀


The dates you must pay tax to HMRC during the year depend on the amount of tax owed and the type of the business in question i.e. whether it is a limited company or sole trader business.

For a sole trader whose tax liability is less than £1000.00, the amount owed is paid in full once a year before 31st January. However, if the amount of tax owed to HMRC exceeds £1000.00 then payments on account are introduced and the individual must pay their tax in two annual instalments. Payments on account are made twice a year before 31st January and 31st July and contribute towards the tax HMRC estimates will be owed the following tax year. For example, if an individual owed £1000.00 in tax they would pay the amount as normal before 31st January 2011. However, based on this tax liability, HMRC would assume the individual would owe the same amount next year meaning they would have to pay an additional £1000.00 in payments on account. Half of this would be paid with the original tax on 31st January, bring the amount due to £1500.00, and the remaining £500.00 would be due at the end of the following July. If the tax owed the subsequent year is less than or exceeds the amount the individual paid on account, HMRC would either reimburse them or charge extra in accordance with this.

For limited companies, corporation tax owed to HMRC is paid in full once a year and the deadline to pay it is exactly nine months after the last day of the company’s financial year. For example, if a company’s financial year runs from 1st April- 31st March, the deadline for it to pay HMRC the corporation tax it owes would be 31st December. This rule applies to all company’s that profit up to £1.5 million.

At The Accountancy Partnership, we advise our clients on when their tax is due to be paid and can offer help and advise on budgeting for payments on account. If you would like to discuss your requirements or request a quotation please do not hesitate to phone or email us, or alternatively, you can simply use the live chat link available.

About The Author

Lee Murphy

MAAT and ICPA accountant, with a passion for making accountancy and bookkeeping accessible. Other interests include cloud-based software development for web and mobile access, keeping fit, reading, and entrepreneurship.

More posts by this author
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

Read more posts...

Umbrella Companies for Self-Employed Contractors

When you set up in business as a contractor you might either work as a sole trader or as a limited company….

Read More

Get Ready for Small Business Saturday UK 2022

Small Business Saturday started in the US in 2010, on the first Saturday following Thanksgiving. It aims to encourage shoppers to consider…

Read More

Architects and Tax

Architecture is a highly diverse sector when it comes to tax. It’s partly down to the type of businesses that carry out…

Read More
Back to Blog...

Confirm Transactions

The number of monthly transactions you have entered based on your turnover seem high. A transaction is one bookkeeping entry such as a sale, purchase, payment or receipt. Are you sure this is correct?

Yes, submit my quote
No, let me change it

Please contact our sales team if you’re unsure

VAT Returns

It is unlikely you will need this service, unless you are voluntarily registered for VAT.

Are you sure this is correct?

Yes, the business is VAT registered
No, let me change it

Call us on 020 3355 4047 if you’re not sure.


You only need this service if you want us to complete the bookkeeping on your behalf.

Would you prefer to complete your own bookkeeping?


Call us on 020 3355 4047 if you’re not sure.