Starting a new business? Get 40% off our accountancy services for 3 months! 😀


The P50 form is used to claim back income tax by someone who has recently stopped working, and isn’t receiving benefits, a pension, or in a new job. It’s also possible to make a claim online. You’ll need to set up a Government Gateway account if you don’t already have one.

When do I need to include on the form?

The P50 form asks for your personal information, as well as about your most recent employment. You’ll also need to provide your NI number.

Why do I need to fill in the form?

Because of the way that PAYE deductions are made, you might be due a tax repayment if you stop working during a tax year. A tax year starts on 6th April one year and runs to 5th April the next year.

There are lots of reasons that you might have stop working during a tax year, such as redundancy, retirement, or a return to education.

Tax return services

When should I complete a P50?

You can use the form to make a claim if you have been unemployed for four weeks or more. If you are still looking for work and are not claiming any benefits you can submit a P50. You can also make a claim if you have retired or gone into full-time education.

What happens after I submit my P50?

HMRC can take up to 14 days to process a claim. Once it has been processed you will either receive a payment by cheque or bank transfer, or HMRC will write to you and explain why the claim has been rejected.

About The Author

Christopher Jones

Forensics graduate-turned copywriter and blogger. I love turning complex topics into easy to understand, yet engaging pieces of content.

More posts by this author
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

Read more posts...

Umbrella Companies for Self-Employed Contractors

When you set up in business as a contractor you might either work as a sole trader or as a limited company….

Read More

Get Ready for Small Business Saturday UK 2022

Small Business Saturday started in the US in 2010, on the first Saturday following Thanksgiving. It aims to encourage shoppers to consider…

Read More

Architects and Tax

Architecture is a highly diverse sector when it comes to tax. It’s partly down to the type of businesses that carry out…

Read More
Back to Blog...

Confirm Transactions

The number of monthly transactions you have entered based on your turnover seem high. A transaction is one bookkeeping entry such as a sale, purchase, payment or receipt. Are you sure this is correct?

Yes, submit my quote
No, let me change it

Please contact our sales team if you’re unsure

VAT Returns

It is unlikely you will need this service, unless you are voluntarily registered for VAT.

Are you sure this is correct?

Yes, the business is VAT registered
No, let me change it

Call us on 020 3355 4047 if you’re not sure.


You only need this service if you want us to complete the bookkeeping on your behalf.

Would you prefer to complete your own bookkeeping?


Call us on 020 3355 4047 if you’re not sure.