Starting a new business? Get 40% off our accountancy services for 3 months! 😀


All businesses are expected to pay tax on their profits every year, but these can be legitimately reduced by making sure that you claim for all allowable expenses and tax relief.

The profits of a business are calculated by subtracting the expenditure you incur when running your business from the total income. This leaves the net profits, on which you will pay tax. There are various types of expenditure and they are treated differently by HMRC, according to what they are.

Allowable expenses

The cost of any goods or materials you will use to provide a service or product is tax deductible. You can claim for the cost of raw materials, the cost of any goods you will re-sell, or the cost incurred while producing a service or product. The items must all be used wholly and exclusively for the business.

Motoring expenses are another popular item of expenditure. This will include the car or van insurance, servicing the vehicle, repairs, tax, and fuel. If you use the vehicle solely for business purposes, you will be able to claim the whole amount back. However, personal use can’t be claimed and the cost of purchasing the vehicle will have to be claimed as a capital allowance. Motoring expenses can be complicated and it is advisable to contact a professional for advice.

Stationery and communications expenses can be claimed. These include the costs of running a fax machine, mobile phone, the internet, and land line, but don’t include the costs of purchasing the equipment. This cost will be claimed as a capital allowance.

Some legal costs can be claimed, including the price of an accountant, architect, solicitor and surveyor. However, you are unable to claim for the legal costs incurred when purchasing property or equipment.

If you have a workforce, you will be able to claim for the cost of wages, benefits, pensions and others incurred. You won’t be able to claim back the cost of any wages paid to yourself, or any other costs payable by you personally, rather than the business.

If you use a room in your home as an office, you will be able to claim the costs incurred. You can either claim a set amount from HMRC or you can claim back the actual amount of expenditure. This will involve splitting personal and business use and keeping accurate records.

You must keep accurate records of all expenses incurred during the year and be prepared to allow HMRC to inspect those records.

About The Author

Karl Bilby

We work very closely with our expert accountants to bring you the latest factually correct tax and accounting news. We also enjoy writing about small business news that we hope you find useful!

More posts by this author
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

Read more posts...

Umbrella Companies for Self-Employed Contractors

When you set up in business as a contractor you might either work as a sole trader or as a limited company….

Read More

Get Ready for Small Business Saturday UK 2022

Small Business Saturday started in the US in 2010, on the first Saturday following Thanksgiving. It aims to encourage shoppers to consider…

Read More

Architects and Tax

Architecture is a highly diverse sector when it comes to tax. It’s partly down to the type of businesses that carry out…

Read More
Back to Blog...

Confirm Transactions

The number of monthly transactions you have entered based on your turnover seem high. A transaction is one bookkeeping entry such as a sale, purchase, payment or receipt. Are you sure this is correct?

Yes, submit my quote
No, let me change it

Please contact our sales team if you’re unsure

VAT Returns

It is unlikely you will need this service, unless you are voluntarily registered for VAT.

Are you sure this is correct?

Yes, the business is VAT registered
No, let me change it

Call us on 020 3355 4047 if you’re not sure.


You only need this service if you want us to complete the bookkeeping on your behalf.

Would you prefer to complete your own bookkeeping?


Call us on 020 3355 4047 if you’re not sure.