Starting a new business? Get 40% off our accountancy services for 3 months! 😀


Whether you’re working between Christmas and New Year or you’ve abandoned it for the festive season, eventually it will be time to balance the books. Can you claim for that round of drinks on Christmas Eve and the glittery cards you sent out?

Put the crisps aside for a minute and read on to find out. Just in case you discover the other 30 bags are best kept for next year.

Oh Christmas Tree, Oh Christmas Tree, can I claim for you?

Yes, you can claim for Christmas trees and decorations if they’re used to embellish your work premises. If you work from home, forget it. It won’t wash.

With every Christmas card I write

Cards that say ‘Merry Christmas from Jim Samsom, Reindeer Enterprises’, are a nice gesture but not obviously promoting your business. Unless that is your business, of course.

To ensure Christmas cards are truly tax deductible, add promotional material or information on a New Year sale. That way, it’s an advertising cost.

Tax return services

Is my staff Christmas party tax deductible?

To be fully tax deductible, your staff party must be annual, open to all staff, and cost less than £150 per head. Anything over that becomes a taxable benefit for the staff.

However, entertaining clients and subcontractors is not tax deductible. Because this is business entertaining it won’t reduce your corporation tax or income tax.

Christmas gifting and your tax bill

You can’t claim tax against gifts to clients unless:

Also, consumables such as food and drink aren’t tax deductible due to their temporary nature.

You can give what HMRC terms ‘trivial’ gifts to staff, such as food, chocolates or wine. These are allowable costs for the purposes of calculating taxable profits and aren’t a benefit in kind for the recipient.

HMRC’s examples of a trivial gift are ‘a turkey, an ordinary bottle of wine or a box of chocolates.’ You’ll need to report larger gifts to staff, and might need to pay National Insurance on them.

How does tax work for my employee’s Christmas bonus?

There are indeed regulations to remember regarding Christmas bonuses:

About The Author

Beth-Anne Bruce

I'm an experienced and fully AAT and ACCA qualified accountant, who is enthusiastic about helping business owners succeed. I also love cooking and needlepoint (at different times!). Learn more about Beth.

More posts by this author
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

Read more posts...

Get Ready for Small Business Saturday UK 2022

Small Business Saturday started in the US in 2010, on the first Saturday following Thanksgiving. It aims to encourage shoppers to consider…

Read More

Architects and Tax

Architecture is a highly diverse sector when it comes to tax. It’s partly down to the type of businesses that carry out…

Read More

June 2022 Client of the Month: Manea Kella

This month we spoke to Adrian Manea, architect and director at Manea Kella, a London based RIBA Chartered architecture and interior design…

Read More
Back to Blog...

Confirm Transactions

The number of monthly transactions you have entered based on your turnover seem high. A transaction is one bookkeeping entry such as a sale, purchase, payment or receipt. Are you sure this is correct?

Yes, submit my quote
No, let me change it

Please contact our sales team if you’re unsure

VAT Returns

It is unlikely you will need this service, unless you are voluntarily registered for VAT.

Are you sure this is correct?

Yes, the business is VAT registered
No, let me change it

Call us on 020 3355 4047 if you’re not sure.


You only need this service if you want us to complete the bookkeeping on your behalf.

Would you prefer to complete your own bookkeeping?


Call us on 020 3355 4047 if you’re not sure.