Starting a new business? Get 40% off our accountancy services for 3 months! 😎


Sorting out insurance for your small business can be a confusing process. With so many options, legislations and variations of cover available, we can appreciate that sometimes, it’s all too tempting to just brush it under the carpet and hope for best. 

As accounting experts, we also understand that the cost of insurance cover can seem like a hefty expense that you’d really rather not have eating into what might be an unforgivingly limited budget every month.

What happens when an employee is injured though? Or there’s damage to your assets after a particularly aggressive April shower? Or a member of staff is in a vehicle collision when they’re out on the road?

Here are some of the main types of insurance cover you really ought to be considering as the owner of a small (and vulnerable) business:

Public Liability Insurance

According to the Employer’s Liability Insurance Act 1969 instated by the Health & Safety Executive, any businesses with one or more employees has a legal obligation to have Public Liability cover. In fact, failing to do so could lead to crippling fines of up to £2,500 per day.

The minimum level of cover for this is £5million but many businesses – even micro businesses and start-ups – choose to cover anywhere from £10million and upwards.

Businesses will be issued with a Public Liability Insurance certificate which must be displayed and easily accessed by all employees. The certificate must be kept for a minimum of 40 years and be quickly produced on demand or else risk hefty penalties of up to £1,000.

It’s worth noting that if you have employees outside of the UK, they won’t be covered, and you will need to look into the policy legislations in their respective countries.

Professional Indemnity Insurance

This type of cover applies to businesses which are providing professional advisory services such as accountants, lawyers and financial advisers.

Professional Indemnity Insurance covers things like the costs incurred when customers make any claims on account of professional negligence, losses and data breaches on your part.

We’re all human and we all make mistakes but it’s paramount that you have the consequences of human error protected with sufficient PI cover.

Motor Insurance

If your business relies heavily on travel or operation of vehicles, you will need to ensure that you are legally and financially protected.

Whether it’s through individual policies for each vehicle or fleet cover when there’s a large number of vehicles involved, motor insurance is crucial. This applies even when staff are using their own vehicles for anything other than travelling to or from work.

Assets & Property Insurance

Taking out traditional business property insurance is a no-brainer. It will ensure that assets such as equipment, computers, stock and possessions are all protected in case of theft or damage.

How much this costs largely depends on the type and value of assets, the amount of excess you agree on, the location and security of your business, as well as whether your assets are in transit or static.

About The Author

Karl Bilby

We work very closely with our expert accountants to bring you the latest factually correct tax and accounting news. We also enjoy writing about small business news that we hope you find useful!

More posts by this author
Notify of
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

Read more posts...

Staff Spotlight: Charlotte Hughes, Accounts Junior

This month we spoke to Charlotte Hughes, Accounts Junior at The Accountancy Partnership! Give an overview of the duties, functions and responsibilities…

Read More

Staff Spotlight: Rebecca Boyd, Accounts Junior

This month we spoke to Rebecca Boyd, Accounts Junior at The Accountancy Partnership! Give an overview of the duties, functions and responsibilities…

Read More

February 2024 Client of the Month: CHERESHNIVSKA

This month we spoke to Iryna, CEO and Founder of CHERESHNIVSKA!  CHERESHNIVSKA | Instagram | Facebook Hey Iryna! Tell us about your business CHERESHNIVSKA…

Read More
Back to Blog...

Confirm Transactions

The number of monthly transactions you have entered based on your turnover seem high. A transaction is one bookkeeping entry such as a sale, purchase, payment or receipt. Are you sure this is correct?

Yes, submit my quote
No, let me change it

Please contact our sales team if you’re unsure

VAT Returns

It is unlikely you will need this service, unless you are voluntarily registered for VAT.

Are you sure this is correct?

Yes, the business is VAT registered
No, let me change it

Call us on 020 3355 4047 if you’re not sure.


You will receive our bookkeeping software Pandle for free, as part of your package.

You can use this to complete your own bookkeeping, or we can provide a quote to complete your bookkeeping for you.

Please select and option below:

I will do my own bookkeeping
I want you to do my bookkeeping

Call us on 020 3355 4047 if you’re not sure.