Starting a new business? Get 40% off our accountancy services for 3 months! 😀


When you are self employed there may be periods when work is unavailable, perhaps if your trade is seasonal. Paying sufficient Class 2 National Insurance Contributions will determine whether you are eligible for specified state benefits while your income is reduced.

Class 2 National Insurance Contributions are paid at a flat weekly rate of £2.50. However, if your annual income is below £5315 you may be able to claim from exemption. If you do stop paying the contributions, this may affect your entitlement to certain state benefits like state pension and maternity allowance. However, the Class 2 National Insurance Contributions don’t count towards contribution based Jobseekers Allowance, so it may be worth having an income protection policy in place. It may be possible to claim income based Jobseekers Allowance, but this would depend whether you were available for employment.

You may be able to claim Employment and Support Allowance if you are unable to work through illness. This is either contribution based or income based, with strict criteria for applying. Income protection insurance is advisable for anyone self employed, to cover periods of unemployment. There are various policies available and advice should be sought before paying into an income protection policy.

Being out of work when you are self employed is something that should be planned for initially. Ensuring some kind of income protection policy is in place, or savings to live on is crucial, especially if your business has periods during the year when demand for goods or services is slow.

About The Author

Kara Copple

An experienced business and finance writer, sometimes moonlighting as a fiction writer and blogger.

More posts by this author
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

Read more posts...

Umbrella Companies for Self-Employed Contractors

When you set up in business as a contractor you might either work as a sole trader or as a limited company….

Read More

Get Ready for Small Business Saturday UK 2022

Small Business Saturday started in the US in 2010, on the first Saturday following Thanksgiving. It aims to encourage shoppers to consider…

Read More

Architects and Tax

Architecture is a highly diverse sector when it comes to tax. It’s partly down to the type of businesses that carry out…

Read More
Back to Blog...

Confirm Transactions

The number of monthly transactions you have entered based on your turnover seem high. A transaction is one bookkeeping entry such as a sale, purchase, payment or receipt. Are you sure this is correct?

Yes, submit my quote
No, let me change it

Please contact our sales team if you’re unsure

VAT Returns

It is unlikely you will need this service, unless you are voluntarily registered for VAT.

Are you sure this is correct?

Yes, the business is VAT registered
No, let me change it

Call us on 020 3355 4047 if you’re not sure.


You only need this service if you want us to complete the bookkeeping on your behalf.

Would you prefer to complete your own bookkeeping?


Call us on 020 3355 4047 if you’re not sure.