Starting a new business? Get 40% off our accountancy services for 3 months! 😀


A warning has been issued by the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA) to remind self-employed people about the summer tax payment deadline.

Everyone seems to be aware of the January 31st deadline for submitting your tax returns and paying taxes. However, this is only an upfront payment, it isn’t all of it. The rest is due in the summer.

4.8 million self-employed people in the UK will be required to make a tax payment by 31st July. The summer is not usually the time anyone wants to be thinking about taxes so it can catch a lot of people off guard.


Failure to pay will result in penalties from HMRC. So it’s always best to keep tax deadlines in mind so that you’re not caught by surprise in the future.

Chas Roy-Chowdhury, head of taxation at ACCA commented: “After a hectic pre-holiday rush, dealing with a tax payment is probably the last thing on many people’s minds. With Sterling in such a state of flux, many holiday-makers have probably been more focused on exchange rates and how to afford those extra holiday treats

“However, this is not something that can be left until you come back from your summer break, or even leaving it until the last minute and trying to do it yourself. The consequences of not paying on time or paying the wrong amount are high. The current fine is 5% of tax owed which is a massive amount in the era of near zero interest rates.

“Many self-employed, especially those who have recently made the move to become so, may not even be fully aware of this process as the July deadline is not the most publicised and is hidden in the depths of the holiday season. There is a risk that many taxpayers risk getting caught out. Ignorance and naivety are no excuse when it comes to tax filing.”

For those struggling

This deadline will no doubt come as a surprise for many new business owners and contractors. For those who will struggle to make the deadline or need any other information, you can call the HMRC helpline.

However, if you require more long term help with your tax liabilities, then hiring an accountant is the best way to go. An accountant will manage your tax liabilities and other financial responsibilities through the year so you can have some peace of mind that you’re doing everything above board.


Has the deadline come as a shock to you? If you need any help with your accounts, you can call us on 020 3355 4047 or contact us here.

About The Author

Kara Copple

An experienced business and finance writer, sometimes moonlighting as a fiction writer and blogger.

More posts by this author
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

Read more posts...

Umbrella Companies for Self-Employed Contractors

When you set up in business as a contractor you might either work as a sole trader or as a limited company….

Read More

Get Ready for Small Business Saturday UK 2022

Small Business Saturday started in the US in 2010, on the first Saturday following Thanksgiving. It aims to encourage shoppers to consider…

Read More

Architects and Tax

Architecture is a highly diverse sector when it comes to tax. It’s partly down to the type of businesses that carry out…

Read More
Back to Blog...

Confirm Transactions

The number of monthly transactions you have entered based on your turnover seem high. A transaction is one bookkeeping entry such as a sale, purchase, payment or receipt. Are you sure this is correct?

Yes, submit my quote
No, let me change it

Please contact our sales team if you’re unsure

VAT Returns

It is unlikely you will need this service, unless you are voluntarily registered for VAT.

Are you sure this is correct?

Yes, the business is VAT registered
No, let me change it

Call us on 020 3355 4047 if you’re not sure.


You only need this service if you want us to complete the bookkeeping on your behalf.

Would you prefer to complete your own bookkeeping?


Call us on 020 3355 4047 if you’re not sure.