Starting a new business? Get 40% off our accountancy services for 3 months! 😀


If you’re self-employed whilst also working for an employer, you’ll need to include your employment details on your Self Assessment tax return. This means that for each employer that you have worked for in a tax year, you will need to know:

Fortunately, all of this information can be found on your P60.

Using a P60 for Self Assessment

As well as providing details about self-employed income, sole traders also need to include information about any employed work when submitting their Self Assessment.

The P60 shows how much pay you have received during the year, as well as how much tax has been deducted from your income, and any National Insurance that has been paid. This makes your P60 an incredibly useful document when the time comes to complete your Self Assessment tax return.

Real Time Information is compulsory for all employers, where information of pay and tax deductions is reported to HMRC each time a payment is made to an employee. Employers also have a legal responsibility to provide employees with a P60 at the end of each tax year. It’s your record of what your employer has told HMRC about your earnings. So, not only is it useful to check that it’s correct, using your P60 ensures that you provide the right information on your Self Assessment tax return.

Your P60 can also be used as proof of income, such as when applying for a mortgage or bank loan, or for benefits applications. If your earnings are a combination of employed and sole trader work, you might need your P60 and a SA302 to prove your earnings for finance applications.

Your employer can provide a duplicate P60 if you lose your copy, and they can be sent either electronically or provided as a paper document.

Read more about our online accounting services for sole traders. To talk to an advisor, call 020 3355 4047, or get an instant quote using our online form.

About The Author

Kara Copple

An experienced business and finance writer, sometimes moonlighting as a fiction writer and blogger.

More posts by this author
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

Read more posts...

Architects and Tax

Architecture is a highly diverse sector when it comes to tax. It’s partly down to the type of businesses that carry out…

Read More

June 2022 Client of the Month: Manea Kella

This month we spoke to Adrian Manea, architect and director at Manea Kella, a London based RIBA Chartered architecture and interior design…

Read More

Succession Planning for Business Owners: What Comes Next?

When you own a business, it’s extremely normal to feel like you’re surviving one day to the next – ‘winging it’, as…

Read More
Back to Blog...

Confirm Transactions

The number of monthly transactions you have entered based on your turnover seem high. A transaction is one bookkeeping entry such as a sale, purchase, payment or receipt. Are you sure this is correct?

Yes, submit my quote
No, let me change it

Please contact our sales team if you’re unsure

VAT Returns

It is unlikely you will need this service, unless you are voluntarily registered for VAT.

Are you sure this is correct?

Yes, the business is VAT registered
No, let me change it

Call us on 020 3355 4047 if you’re not sure.


You only need this service if you want us to complete the bookkeeping on your behalf.

Would you prefer to complete your own bookkeeping?


Call us on 020 3355 4047 if you’re not sure.