Starting a new business? Get 40% off our accountancy services for 3 months! 😀


Use an SA402 paper form to register a partner in a partnership for Self Assessment if the partner is another business entity, rather than an individual. You can also register online.

Who should complete an SA402 form?

The SA402 form (or the online registration process) is for those who need to register their business as a partner in a partnership. For instance, if the partner is a limited company or another partnership.

If you need to register for Self Assessment as a person who is partner in a partnership then you should use the SA401 form, or register online.

Our Partnership Guide explains how these businesses work in more detail.


Registering if the partner is another partnership

Each business partnership must nominate a partner who takes responsibility for completing and submitting information to HMRC on time. It’s their duty to use the SA402 or the online form to register their partnership as a partner in another partnership.


Tax return services

How do I register a partnership for Self Assessment?

You can register the partnership itself for Self Assessment using an SA400 form which, like the others, is also available online. The partnership must nominate a partner to take responsibility for the process.

About The Author

Lee Murphy

MAAT and ICPA accountant, with a passion for making accountancy and bookkeeping accessible. Other interests include cloud-based software development for web and mobile access, keeping fit, reading, and entrepreneurship.

More posts by this author
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

Read more posts...

Umbrella Companies for Self-Employed Contractors

When you set up in business as a contractor you might either work as a sole trader or as a limited company….

Read More

Get Ready for Small Business Saturday UK 2022

Small Business Saturday started in the US in 2010, on the first Saturday following Thanksgiving. It aims to encourage shoppers to consider…

Read More

Architects and Tax

Architecture is a highly diverse sector when it comes to tax. It’s partly down to the type of businesses that carry out…

Read More
Back to Blog...

Confirm Transactions

The number of monthly transactions you have entered based on your turnover seem high. A transaction is one bookkeeping entry such as a sale, purchase, payment or receipt. Are you sure this is correct?

Yes, submit my quote
No, let me change it

Please contact our sales team if you’re unsure

VAT Returns

It is unlikely you will need this service, unless you are voluntarily registered for VAT.

Are you sure this is correct?

Yes, the business is VAT registered
No, let me change it

Call us on 020 3355 4047 if you’re not sure.


You only need this service if you want us to complete the bookkeeping on your behalf.

Would you prefer to complete your own bookkeeping?


Call us on 020 3355 4047 if you’re not sure.