Starting a new business? Get 40% off our accountancy services for 3 months! 😀


If you need to submit a self-assessment tax return and also work for an employer, you’ll need to include your employment details in your return.

You can submit your tax return online, in which case it will be tailored to include the correct sections. If you submit your Self Assessment using a paper form, you will need to include a SA102 form as part of your return.

Using the SA102 form

Employment information should be recorded on form SA102, which is also called an employment page.

If you have multiple employments, you should complete a separate page for each one. A form SA102 is also completed for:

If you are an office holder but received no remuneration other than out of pocket expenses, form SA102 doesn’t have to be completed. However, make a note in the ‘Any other information’ box on your tax return.

Tax return services

What types of income do I need to include?

All details of income and deductions should be clearly stated. While there are a number of types of income, the most common include salary or wages, tips or gratuities, commission payments, payments made to agency workers, statutory maternity or paternity pay, and sick pay.

Providing details of all income and any deductions will allow HMRC to calculate the correct amount of tax and National Insurance which should be paid.

You should also supply the dates you started and/or ceased at each employment, along with the dates that other types of income were received to ensure you pay in the correct tax year.

Income received from any foreign employment should be declared on the form SA102, together with any foreign tax credit received if you are claiming any foreign tax credit relief. If you have paid foreign tax on some employment income but aren’t claiming foreign tax credit relief, you should enter the details on the ‘Additional information’ section.

What if I under- or overpay?

If you pay too much tax, you will receive a refund of the overpaid amount. If you underpay tax, you can either make a voluntary payment, or request that it is collected through your PAYE tax code.

What else will I need?

When completing details of employment you will be asked for a PAYE reference number for your employer. This can be found on your form P60 which provides end of year pay and tax details, or your P45 which holds leaving details of your employment.

Get started with an instant tailored quote for our online accountancy services.

About The Author

Beth-Anne Bruce

I'm an experienced and fully AAT and ACCA qualified accountant, who is enthusiastic about helping business owners succeed. I also love cooking and needlepoint (at different times!). Learn more about Beth.

More posts by this author
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

Read more posts...

Get Ready for Small Business Saturday UK 2022

Small Business Saturday started in the US in 2010, on the first Saturday following Thanksgiving. It aims to encourage shoppers to consider…

Read More

Architects and Tax

Architecture is a highly diverse sector when it comes to tax. It’s partly down to the type of businesses that carry out…

Read More

June 2022 Client of the Month: Manea Kella

This month we spoke to Adrian Manea, architect and director at Manea Kella, a London based RIBA Chartered architecture and interior design…

Read More
Back to Blog...

Confirm Transactions

The number of monthly transactions you have entered based on your turnover seem high. A transaction is one bookkeeping entry such as a sale, purchase, payment or receipt. Are you sure this is correct?

Yes, submit my quote
No, let me change it

Please contact our sales team if you’re unsure

VAT Returns

It is unlikely you will need this service, unless you are voluntarily registered for VAT.

Are you sure this is correct?

Yes, the business is VAT registered
No, let me change it

Call us on 020 3355 4047 if you’re not sure.


You only need this service if you want us to complete the bookkeeping on your behalf.

Would you prefer to complete your own bookkeeping?


Call us on 020 3355 4047 if you’re not sure.