Starting a new business? Get 40% off our accountancy services for 3 months! 😀


A partnership is a relatively simple way to start a new business with two or more partners. The partners could be individuals, other partnerships, or limited companies, but all must register with HMRC.

The process for registering an individual person as a partner is a bit different to registering a partner which is an entity, like another partnership or a company.

Register a partner in a partnership who is not an individual online or using form SA402

An individual partner registers with form SA401.

Who need to complete form SA402?

The form should be filled in and submitted by the nominated person in the partnership which will be a partner in the other partnership. And yes, we understand if you need to read that sentence a few times! Remember to include the registration number on the form if the new partner is a limited liability partnership or limited company.


accounting services for partnerships

Can a limited company be a partner in a partnership?

Yes, a limited company can be a partner in a partnership. The company may earn income from its portion of the partnership, and will need to include this when calculating the company’s profits on its Company Tax Return.

Tax returns and partnerships

In a partnership:

The main partnership tax return must also detail the share of profits or losses for each partner, using the partnership statement. A copy of the partnership statement should be made available to each partner so they can complete their own tax return.

What if I leave a partnership, or the partnership ends?

A partner who leaves a partnership still needs to submit a tax return for that year, up until the date they left. If the partnership itself ends, the tax return is completed for the period of trading up until the date the partnership ended.

Record keeping in business partnerships

You must retain partnership records for five years following the 31st January deadline of the partnership tax return. This also applies if you complete a paper tax return.

The records which you must keep depend on the type of gains and income the partnership receives. Unfortunately, failure to maintain the correct business records could result in a penalty or fine, so always double check!

Talk to one of the team to learn more about our online accountant services. Call 020 3355 4047, or use the live chat button on screen. 

About The Author

Elizabeth Hughes

A content writer specialising in business, finance, software, and beyond. I'm a wordsmith with a penchant for puns and making complex subjects accessible. Learn more about Elizabeth.

More posts by this author
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

Read more posts...

Umbrella Companies for Self-Employed Contractors

When you set up in business as a contractor you might either work as a sole trader or as a limited company….

Read More

Get Ready for Small Business Saturday UK 2022

Small Business Saturday started in the US in 2010, on the first Saturday following Thanksgiving. It aims to encourage shoppers to consider…

Read More

Architects and Tax

Architecture is a highly diverse sector when it comes to tax. It’s partly down to the type of businesses that carry out…

Read More
Back to Blog...

Confirm Transactions

The number of monthly transactions you have entered based on your turnover seem high. A transaction is one bookkeeping entry such as a sale, purchase, payment or receipt. Are you sure this is correct?

Yes, submit my quote
No, let me change it

Please contact our sales team if you’re unsure

VAT Returns

It is unlikely you will need this service, unless you are voluntarily registered for VAT.

Are you sure this is correct?

Yes, the business is VAT registered
No, let me change it

Call us on 020 3355 4047 if you’re not sure.


You only need this service if you want us to complete the bookkeeping on your behalf.

Would you prefer to complete your own bookkeeping?


Call us on 020 3355 4047 if you’re not sure.