Coronavirus COVID-19 Update: It's business as usual for us 🙂. Click here to view our support centre.


Depending on how much you earn, you might need to pay tax on profits received through the rentals juggernaut that is Airbnb. In this article we explain who is liable to pay tax on Airbnb rental income.

Paying tax on holiday lets

Airbnb unites users looking for somewhere to stay with those who are advertising their spare room, caravan, or entire home for rent. It’s often cheaper than staying in a hotel, and there’s an impressive range of the types of place that are available to stay.

For property owners it’s a terrific way to make some extra cash from their home when it’s not in use. The money that you get paid as an Airbnb host still counts as income though, and as such is still liable for income tax.

Airbnb’s terms of service encourage users of their service to be ‘responsible hosts’, and explicitly state that paying taxes is included in this. So, you might be glad to know that the Rent a Room Scheme gives you a tax-free buffer before you have to pay tax on your Airbnb earnings!

How much can I earn through Airbnb before paying tax?

If you qualify for the Rent a Room Scheme, you can earn up to £7,500 in profits each tax year from renting out furnished accommodation, and it is tax free.

The tax exemption for holiday lets is automatic, so if your rental profits are lower than £7,500 in a tax year, you don’t need to do anything. Above £7,500 then you’ll need to opt in for the scheme to be able to claim your allowance.

The key word here is profit! The tax-free allowance for your Airbnb is applied to your profits, not to your income. Deduct your expenses from your earnings to work out profit.

Who qualifies for the Rent a Room Scheme?

The Rent a Room Scheme isn’t just for Airbnb properties, and can be claimed by any resident landlord. There are a few points to consider:

Learn more about eligibility for the Rent a Room Scheme

How do I pay tax on my Airbnb profits, if I need to?

If your Airbnb profits earn you more than the tax-free threshold, you’ll need to complete a Self Assessment tax return. This tells HMRC how much you’ve earned, so they can work out how much tax you need to pay.

Learn more about Self Assessment tax returns

About The Author

Elizabeth Hughes

An SEO Copywriter and Content Creator. After more than ten years of enjoying myself by turning difficult subjects into elegant, simple language, I still can't believe I get paid for this.

Leave a Reply

Please Login to comment

Read more posts...

What is a Letter of Intent When Selling a Business?

If you are currently looking into selling your business, or purchasing one from someone else, you may have come across the term…

Read More

Staff Spotlight: Sarah Geoghegan

In the Staff Spotlight this month, we have Sarah! What is your job title? Accounts Semi Senior Give an overview of the…

Read More

May 2020 Client of the Month: Baby Sensory St Albans and Harpenden

This month we talk to Laura about her business, and overcoming the challenges of operating during a global health crisis. What’s your…

Read More
Back to Blog...

Confirm Transactions

The number of monthly transactions you have entered based on your turnover seem high. A transaction is one bookkeeping entry such as a sale, purchase, payment or receipt. Are you sure this is correct?

Yes, submit my quote
No, let me change it

Please contact our sales team if you’re unsure