Starting a new business? Get 40% off our accountancy services for 3 months! 😀


If HMRC believes an employer may be at risk of not paying income tax and Class 1 National Insurance Contributions collected through PAYE, it can request a security from the business. This has been in effect since 6th April 2012, and was introduced following the success of the same regime applied to VAT, environmental taxes and Insurance Premium Tax. According to HMRC, more than half of the employers who have had a security requested become compliant, and it is hoped that the same strategy will be effective for PAYE.

Who will be affected by the security legislation?

Although most employers remain compliant with HMRC, a small minority make deliberate attempts to evade tax. These are the businesses thatPAYEwill be affected by the PAYE security measures. The businesses likely to be asked to pay a security include those which deliberately liquidate one business only to open a new company the next day, deliberate non-payers, companies that refuse to co-operate, and those that accumulate large arrears of PAYE taxes and penalties. Those businesses experiencing genuine difficulties that have contacted HMRC won’t be affected by the securities.

The security will be requested as a cash payment from the business, partner or director. The security will usually be held by HMRC, although it is sometimes held in an account in the joint names of HMRC and the company.

Who is liable to pay the PAYE security?

HMRC will issue the request for a PAYE security to the company and each of its directors, as they have joint responsibility for payment. When HMRC identifies a business with a large PAYE and NIC debt, a letter is issued to the company and each director warning them that if the arrears remain unpaid, a security may be requested against future debts. Employers have 14 days to contact HMRC, either to settle the outstanding arrears or to discuss them. If HMRC is not satisfied with the response from the company, a request for a security will be issued.

What if the employer disagrees with the decision?

If an employer disagrees with the request for a security, they have the right to request that an independent officer from HMRC review the case. At this point the security may be revoked, upheld or varied by the reviewing officer. If the employer is not satisfied, they can appeal to the tribunal. For further information, professional guidance should be sought.

About The Author

Karl Bilby

We work very closely with our expert accountants to bring you the latest factually correct tax and accounting news. We also enjoy writing about small business news that we hope you find useful!

More posts by this author
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

Read more posts...

Umbrella Companies for Self-Employed Contractors

When you set up in business as a contractor you might either work as a sole trader or as a limited company….

Read More

Get Ready for Small Business Saturday UK 2022

Small Business Saturday started in the US in 2010, on the first Saturday following Thanksgiving. It aims to encourage shoppers to consider…

Read More

Architects and Tax

Architecture is a highly diverse sector when it comes to tax. It’s partly down to the type of businesses that carry out…

Read More
Back to Blog...

Confirm Transactions

The number of monthly transactions you have entered based on your turnover seem high. A transaction is one bookkeeping entry such as a sale, purchase, payment or receipt. Are you sure this is correct?

Yes, submit my quote
No, let me change it

Please contact our sales team if you’re unsure

VAT Returns

It is unlikely you will need this service, unless you are voluntarily registered for VAT.

Are you sure this is correct?

Yes, the business is VAT registered
No, let me change it

Call us on 020 3355 4047 if you’re not sure.


You only need this service if you want us to complete the bookkeeping on your behalf.

Would you prefer to complete your own bookkeeping?


Call us on 020 3355 4047 if you’re not sure.