Starting a new business? Get 40% off our accountancy services for 3 months! 😀


Mistakes are easy to make and can be tricky to fix. If you’re an employer and have made a mistake in the payroll data included in your Full Payment Submission (FPS), you’ll need to amend this. But how? Well, this depends on the year that you need to amend submission data for.

Amending FPS submissions before April 2020

Up until April 2020, if you needed to amend an error in the year that you were in, you’d use a subsequent FPS to fix it. If the error was in a previous year, employers would need to rectify it by sending an Earlier Year Update (EYU) to HMRC.

After April 2020 though, the EYU ceased to be valid, and instead, an amended FPS should be sent.

Amending FPS submissions after April 2020

From April 2020 onwards, employers should correct an earlier mistake in their submission by either:

What might need amending?

You might need to amend an earlier FPS because there was a mistake in the original pay data sent to HMRC, or you forgot to notify them of an employee’s leaving date.

HMRC go into more detail about why an employer might need to amend a previous RTI submission, and what information should be included in each scenario.

Why do I need to make RTI submissions anyway?

RTI, or Real Time Information, was introduced to simplify the process of reporting PAYE information to HMRC. PAYE is the system that employers use to deduct tax and National Insurance from their employees’ pay, and send it to HMRC on their behalf.

Read our guide to PAYE

Get an instant quote online for payroll services, or talk to one of our advisors by calling 020 3355 4047, or using the online chat button on your screen. 

About The Author

Suzanne Goodier-Dodson

I'm a Payroll Manager with a degree in Mathematics, responsible for overseeing every aspect of payroll for our clients. In my spare time, I love to travel and going to gigs. Read my Staff Spotlight.

More posts by this author
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

Read more posts...

Umbrella Companies for Self-Employed Contractors

When you set up in business as a contractor you might either work as a sole trader or as a limited company….

Read More

Get Ready for Small Business Saturday UK 2022

Small Business Saturday started in the US in 2010, on the first Saturday following Thanksgiving. It aims to encourage shoppers to consider…

Read More

Architects and Tax

Architecture is a highly diverse sector when it comes to tax. It’s partly down to the type of businesses that carry out…

Read More
Back to Blog...

Confirm Transactions

The number of monthly transactions you have entered based on your turnover seem high. A transaction is one bookkeeping entry such as a sale, purchase, payment or receipt. Are you sure this is correct?

Yes, submit my quote
No, let me change it

Please contact our sales team if you’re unsure

VAT Returns

It is unlikely you will need this service, unless you are voluntarily registered for VAT.

Are you sure this is correct?

Yes, the business is VAT registered
No, let me change it

Call us on 020 3355 4047 if you’re not sure.


You only need this service if you want us to complete the bookkeeping on your behalf.

Would you prefer to complete your own bookkeeping?


Call us on 020 3355 4047 if you’re not sure.