Starting a new business? Get 40% off our accountancy services for 3 months! 😎


Once you reach the State Pension age, you will be able to stop paying National Insurance contributions. However, you will still be required to pay tax on any income over the amount of personal allowances to which you are entitled. The level of taxable income you receive can affect the amount of personal allowances you receive. If you continue to work or run a business after the retirement age, your tax affairs may be a little more complex.

Will you still pay tax when you retire?

To work out whether or not you will still be required to pay tax during retirement, you should add up all your taxable income, including your state pension and any other taxable benefits. Taxable income includes employment, self employment, state pension and a number of other benefits, such as bank interest, dividends, foreign income and income from property. The next step is to calculate the amount of personal allowances to which you will be entitled. If your income is more than the personal allowances, you will pay tax.

How to calculate tax-free allowances

These allowances are the amount of income you can receive without paying any tax. Unlike the basic personal allowances, your tax-free allowances following retirement will be based on your date of birth.

For those people who were born after 6th April 1948, the personal allowance amount is £10,000 and this amount will be reduced by £1 for every £2 received above £100,000. The tax-free amount increases to £10,500 for anyone whose date of birth is between 6th April 1938 and 5th April 1948. The income limit is £27,000, with personal allowances being reduced for any amount above this. For dates of birth before 6th April 1938, the allowances are £10,660 and the income threshold is £27,000.

Although the personal allowances are reduced by £1 for every £2 above the income limit, the allowances will never be less than £10,000 if you were born before 6th April 1948, unless your income exceeds £100,000.

Self assessment tax return

If you are in employment and have more than two personal pensions, in addition to the State Pension, you will be required to complete a self assessment tax return. If your income exceeds the threshold of £27,000, you will also need to complete a tax return.

Tax in retirement can be complex, which is why you may need professional advice if you are unsure, to avoid paying the wrong amount of tax.

About The Author

Karl Bilby

We work very closely with our expert accountants to bring you the latest factually correct tax and accounting news. We also enjoy writing about small business news that we hope you find useful!

More posts by this author
Notify of
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

Read more posts...

What is a Non-Established Taxable Person for VAT?

There are special VAT rules in place for online sellers who are classed as non-established taxable persons (NETPs), and use an online…

Read More

The Accountancy Partnership – Our Positive Reviews

Here at The Accountancy Partnership, we’re proud of our customer reviews The reviews we receive from our customers show how hard we…

Read More

What Employers Need to Know About Statutory Maternity Pay

There’s lots to think about as an employer, but one big thing you don’t want to fly under your radar is what…

Read More
Back to Blog...

Confirm Transactions

The number of monthly transactions you have entered based on your turnover seem high. A transaction is one bookkeeping entry such as a sale, purchase, payment or receipt. Are you sure this is correct?

Yes, submit my quote
No, let me change it

Please contact our sales team if you’re unsure

VAT Returns

It is unlikely you will need this service, unless you are voluntarily registered for VAT.

Are you sure this is correct?

Yes, the business is VAT registered
No, let me change it

Call us on 020 3355 4047 if you’re not sure.


You will receive our bookkeeping software Pandle for free, as part of your package.

You can use this to complete your own bookkeeping, or we can provide a quote to complete your bookkeeping for you.

Please select and option below:

I will do my own bookkeeping
I want you to do my bookkeeping

Call us on 020 3355 4047 if you’re not sure.