Starting a new business? Get 40% off our accountancy services for 3 months! 😀


If you run a medium-sized business, then there’s some good news – for a change. HMRC has a new service designed to support you and your business.


Help with Growing Pains

The new free service, called the Growth Support Service, is intended to offer direct help to the UK’s 170,000 mid-sized businesses as they expand and grow.

Through the service, HMRC tax experts will offer dedicated, tailored support to these growing businesses, offering them access to the information and services they need. To qualify for this support, businesses must be undergoing significant growth and have either:


The type of support the HMRC specialists will provide could include:

‘Grow, Succeed and Prosper’

“Mid-sized businesses make vital contribution to the UK economy and I want to see them grow, succeed and prosper,” said the Financial Secretary to the Treasury, Mel Stride.

“The Growth Support Service will help these expanding businesses access tailored tax assistance so that tax administration doesn’t stand in the way of their growth and ensures businesses can focus on finding new opportunities.”

The top five industries and sectors that could benefit from the Growth Support Service are:

  1. Manufacturing (i.e. building, printing or maintenance firms)
  2. Information and communication (i.e. IT or software companies, film makers or publishers)
  3. Administrative and support services (i.e. vehicle hire companies, recruitment agencies or call centres)
  4. Professional, scientific and technical services (i.e. law and accountancy firms or quantity surveyors)
  5. Wholesale and retail (i.e. high street shops, food and drink outlets or car showrooms)

HMRC’s press release says that the introduction of the service “demonstrates HMRC’s continued commitment to support UK businesses get their tax right.” HMRC already operates a customer relations service for large businesses and launched the Small Business Online Forum for small businesses and the self-employed last month.

Want to Apply for Expert Help?

If your business meets the eligibility criteria, then you can apply for help from the Growth Support service online.

You will then be contacted by your dedicated growth support specialist at HMRC to discuss your requirements. Their bespoke service will generally last between three to six months. It’s worth noting that your growth support specialist can only give you support with tax. They won’t be able to give you general business or business growth guidance – nor can they advise you on tax planning or avoidance.

If you would like to know more about the eligibility criteria and the support offered, or you need support for a medium-sized business that’s not currently experiencing growth, visit the service page for more information.

About The Author

Kara Copple

An experienced business and finance writer, sometimes moonlighting as a fiction writer and blogger.

More posts by this author
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

Read more posts...

Umbrella Companies for Self-Employed Contractors

When you set up in business as a contractor you might either work as a sole trader or as a limited company….

Read More

Get Ready for Small Business Saturday UK 2022

Small Business Saturday started in the US in 2010, on the first Saturday following Thanksgiving. It aims to encourage shoppers to consider…

Read More

Architects and Tax

Architecture is a highly diverse sector when it comes to tax. It’s partly down to the type of businesses that carry out…

Read More
Back to Blog...

Confirm Transactions

The number of monthly transactions you have entered based on your turnover seem high. A transaction is one bookkeeping entry such as a sale, purchase, payment or receipt. Are you sure this is correct?

Yes, submit my quote
No, let me change it

Please contact our sales team if you’re unsure

VAT Returns

It is unlikely you will need this service, unless you are voluntarily registered for VAT.

Are you sure this is correct?

Yes, the business is VAT registered
No, let me change it

Call us on 020 3355 4047 if you’re not sure.


You only need this service if you want us to complete the bookkeeping on your behalf.

Would you prefer to complete your own bookkeeping?


Call us on 020 3355 4047 if you’re not sure.