Starting a new business? Get 40% off our accountancy services for 3 months! 😀


There will be occasions when you disagree with assessments and other decisions made by HMRC. If you don’t agree with a particular decision, you can write to the officer who made the decision and ask for it to be reviewed. You also have the opportunity to appeal to a tribunal.

If a decision has been made against your VAT, the process will be slightly different to that of direct taxes. However, if you have received a notice from HMRC requesting further documentation or information, you must follow the process for appealing against direct taxes. A decision may include being asked to complete monthly VAT returns, pay a security or compulsory deregistration.

Review of VAT decision

When a VAT decision is issued to you, it will include information about how to appeal or ask for an independent review. You can ask the decision maker for a review, which must be carried out by an officer who is completely independent of the decision that has been made. This has to be requested within 30 days of the decision being issued; if you request a review after that period has passed, HMRC will conduct the review as long as you have a reasonable excuse for not accepting the offer within the time frame.

When you accept the offer of an independent review, you can include details of why you believe the VAT decision is incorrect. A review will then be completed within 45 days, and the reviewing officer will notify you of their decision immediately. An extension of time can be requested by you or HMRC, but both parties have to agree to this.

Disagreeing with the review conclusion

Once the review conclusion has been received, you can appeal to the tribunal if you don’t agree with the outcome. This must be done within 30 days of receiving the conclusion letter. If you don’t appeal to the tribunal within this time, HMRC will assume that you agree with the outcome of the review.

When making an appeal to the tribunal, contact can be made either in writing or by completing an appeal form, which can be found on HMRC’s website. You must wait for the review to be completed, and once you have appealed to tribunal, you can’t request an independent review.

VAT is a complex tax and professional advice may be needed if you disagree with a decision.
instant quotes for online accountancy

About The Author

Karl Bilby

We work very closely with our expert accountants to bring you the latest factually correct tax and accounting news. We also enjoy writing about small business news that we hope you find useful!

More posts by this author
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

Read more posts...

June 2022 Client of the Month: Manea Kella

This month we spoke to Adrian Manea, architect and director at Manea Kella, a London based RIBA Chartered architecture and interior design…

Read More

Succession Planning for Business Owners: What Comes Next?

When you own a business, it’s extremely normal to feel like you’re surviving one day to the next – ‘winging it’, as…

Read More

The Accountancy Partnership – Our Positive Reviews

Here at The Accountancy Partnership, we’re proud of our customer reviews The reviews we receive from our customers show how hard we…

Read More
Back to Blog...

Confirm Transactions

The number of monthly transactions you have entered based on your turnover seem high. A transaction is one bookkeeping entry such as a sale, purchase, payment or receipt. Are you sure this is correct?

Yes, submit my quote
No, let me change it

Please contact our sales team if you’re unsure

VAT Returns

It is unlikely you will need this service, unless you are voluntarily registered for VAT.

Are you sure this is correct?

Yes, the business is VAT registered
No, let me change it

Call us on 020 3355 4047 if you’re not sure.


You only need this service if you want us to complete the bookkeeping on your behalf.

Would you prefer to complete your own bookkeeping?


Call us on 020 3355 4047 if you’re not sure.