Starting a new business? Get 40% off our accountancy services for 3 months! 😎


There may be times when HMRC makes a decision you don’t agree with; perhaps an assessment has been issued and you don’t agree the amount of tax charged, or HMRC may be asking for payment of a security. If you disagree with a decision made by HMRC, you are able to challenge it. There are many rules that apply to appealing against a decision and the process is different for direct taxes and indirect taxes.

The appeal process

If a decision has been made relating to direct taxation, including self-assessment, or a penalty issued in association with a direct tax, you can appeal against it. The direct tax appeal process will also apply if you receive a notice to produce documents or information, even if it refers to indirect taxation. If you fail to comply with the notice, you may be charged a penalty, which can also be appealed against using the direct tax procedures.

An appeal has to be made within 30 days from the date of the decision, either by letter or using an appeal form. You must inform HMRC of the decision against which you are appealing and why you are challenging it. At this stage, you may be able to reach an agreement with HMRC and at this time you will be expected to pay any outstanding tax or provide the information required.
If you can’t reach an agreement, you can ask for an independent review. If matters are still not resolved you may take the case to a Tribunal. The process is similar for indirect taxes, although there is no informal review to come to an agreement; if you don’t agree with a decision you must ask for a formal review within 30 days of the decision. If the original decision is upheld, you may take the case to Tribunal.

Appealing to Tribunal

In both cases, you can apply to a First-tier Tribunal. However, if you’ve requested a review by HMRC, you must wait for the outcome before appealing at Tribunal. If you have submitted an appeal to Tribunal, you can’t then ask for a formal review.

About The Author

Karl Bilby

We work very closely with our expert accountants to bring you the latest factually correct tax and accounting news. We also enjoy writing about small business news that we hope you find useful!

More posts by this author
Notify of
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

Read more posts...

What is a Non-Established Taxable Person for VAT?

There are special VAT rules in place for online sellers who are classed as non-established taxable persons (NETPs), and use an online…

Read More

The Accountancy Partnership – Our Positive Reviews

Here at The Accountancy Partnership, we’re proud of our customer reviews The reviews we receive from our customers show how hard we…

Read More

What Type of Legal Structure Should I Choose When I Start a Business?

The structure that you choose when you start a business affects how the business operates, the amount of tax you pay, how…

Read More
Back to Blog...

Confirm Transactions

The number of monthly transactions you have entered based on your turnover seem high. A transaction is one bookkeeping entry such as a sale, purchase, payment or receipt. Are you sure this is correct?

Yes, submit my quote
No, let me change it

Please contact our sales team if you’re unsure

VAT Returns

It is unlikely you will need this service, unless you are voluntarily registered for VAT.

Are you sure this is correct?

Yes, the business is VAT registered
No, let me change it

Call us on 020 3355 4047 if you’re not sure.


You will receive our bookkeeping software Pandle for free, as part of your package.

You can use this to complete your own bookkeeping, or we can provide a quote to complete your bookkeeping for you.

Please select and option below:

I will do my own bookkeeping
I want you to do my bookkeeping

Call us on 020 3355 4047 if you’re not sure.