Starting a new business? Get 40% off our accountancy services for 3 months! 😀


If you’re scratching your head, it’s time to worry. And get an accountant. An occupational therapist might come in handy too..


RSI is the abbreviation for Repetitive Strain Injury. It’s something employers should be aware of and take steps to prevent for their employees, as they have responsibilities under the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974 and the Management of Health and Safety at Work Regulations 1999 to do so.

However, it’s just as important that employers understand RTI – or hire someone who does.


RTI stands for Real Time Information (RTI), a new reporting system designed by HMRC to improve the operation of the PAYE scheme. Failure to submit RTI returns can incur penalties of £100 or more – not to mention owing underpaid tax and NI contributions, plus any interest they’ve accrued. Ouch.

Using RTI

Under the RTI reporting system, employers must now send PAYE information to HMRC every time they pay their employees, rather than after the end of the tax year. This more regular reporting is designed to track people through their more frequent job moves, ensure tax and national insurance records are more accurate and up-to-date, and make the PAYE process easier for both employers and HMRC.

If you run payroll yourself:

You’ll need to report your employees’ payments and deductions to HMRC in an FPS (Full Payment Submission) on or before each payday and use payroll software to work out how much tax and National Insurance you owe.  To claim a reduction against what you own HMRC, you will need to send an Employer Payment Summary (EPS) too.

Sounds complicated? Then consider investing in a good payroll service.

Make It Easier On Yourself: Hand over Your Payroll

Your accountant should be able to provide a comprehensive payroll service, including:

If you can feel your stress draining away just at the thought of it, then don’t hang about! Check out our wonderful payroll service, here. It will be a weight off your mind!

About The Author

Karl Bilby

We work very closely with our expert accountants to bring you the latest factually correct tax and accounting news. We also enjoy writing about small business news that we hope you find useful!

More posts by this author
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

Read more posts...

Get Ready for Small Business Saturday UK 2022

Small Business Saturday started in the US in 2010, on the first Saturday following Thanksgiving. It aims to encourage shoppers to consider…

Read More

Architects and Tax

Architecture is a highly diverse sector when it comes to tax. It’s partly down to the type of businesses that carry out…

Read More

June 2022 Client of the Month: Manea Kella

This month we spoke to Adrian Manea, architect and director at Manea Kella, a London based RIBA Chartered architecture and interior design…

Read More
Back to Blog...

Confirm Transactions

The number of monthly transactions you have entered based on your turnover seem high. A transaction is one bookkeeping entry such as a sale, purchase, payment or receipt. Are you sure this is correct?

Yes, submit my quote
No, let me change it

Please contact our sales team if you’re unsure

VAT Returns

It is unlikely you will need this service, unless you are voluntarily registered for VAT.

Are you sure this is correct?

Yes, the business is VAT registered
No, let me change it

Call us on 020 3355 4047 if you’re not sure.


You only need this service if you want us to complete the bookkeeping on your behalf.

Would you prefer to complete your own bookkeeping?


Call us on 020 3355 4047 if you’re not sure.