Starting a new business? Get 40% off our accountancy services for 3 months! 😀


During a recent interview with the Telegraph, a source from HMRC stated that employees of the organisation will not be having a Christmas party, although other businesses are permitted to spend up to £150 per head on a festive celebration.

Corporate events, including Christmas get-togethers, are not taxed as long as the total cost per employee doesn’t exceed £150. If it falls just a few pennies over this amount, tax will have to be paid on the whole cost.

The source from HMRC confirmed that none of the £3.4 billion budget will go towards celebrations.

The annual tax perk applies to other corporate functions in addition to the annual Christmas party, although there are strict rules to adhere to.

What are the criteria for employers when deciding what to report and pay?

Employers need to report employee benefits to HMRC, although this depends on the following criteria:

• Whether the event is annual
• Whether all employees are eligible to attend
• If the cost exceeds £150 per person
• How many events are held during a tax year
• How much an employee earns and whether they are a director of the company

What are the exemptions to regular reporting rules?

If the event or party is held once a year – like a Christmas celebration or a summer event, perhaps a barbecue – and it costs less than £150 per person, while being available to all employees, it will be exempt from normal reporting rules and tax and National Insurance won’t be charged.

If the events are held at various departments within the company, they will still be exempt, as long as all your staff can attend at least one. If you hold more than one throughout the year and the total cost per employee is less than £150, the events will be exempt. If you have any employees who earn less than £8,500 a year, don’t worry about reporting or paying tax for them – as long as they’re not directors of the company.

What are the reporting obligations?

All events that aren’t classed as being exempt will have to be reported to HMRC, and you will be liable to pay National Insurance on them. Once the exemption has been used up during a tax year, any further parties or events have to be reported to HMRC.

Let us know what you think about the tax-free amount for parties; should the figure be more than this, or should tax be paid on all company parties and events? Maybe your opinion differs depending on industry or sector.

If you’re a business owner and need advice in this area, drop us a line!

About The Author

Karl Bilby

We work very closely with our expert accountants to bring you the latest factually correct tax and accounting news. We also enjoy writing about small business news that we hope you find useful!

More posts by this author
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

Read more posts...

Umbrella Companies for Self-Employed Contractors

When you set up in business as a contractor you might either work as a sole trader or as a limited company….

Read More

Get Ready for Small Business Saturday UK 2022

Small Business Saturday started in the US in 2010, on the first Saturday following Thanksgiving. It aims to encourage shoppers to consider…

Read More

Architects and Tax

Architecture is a highly diverse sector when it comes to tax. It’s partly down to the type of businesses that carry out…

Read More
Back to Blog...

Confirm Transactions

The number of monthly transactions you have entered based on your turnover seem high. A transaction is one bookkeeping entry such as a sale, purchase, payment or receipt. Are you sure this is correct?

Yes, submit my quote
No, let me change it

Please contact our sales team if you’re unsure

VAT Returns

It is unlikely you will need this service, unless you are voluntarily registered for VAT.

Are you sure this is correct?

Yes, the business is VAT registered
No, let me change it

Call us on 020 3355 4047 if you’re not sure.


You only need this service if you want us to complete the bookkeeping on your behalf.

Would you prefer to complete your own bookkeeping?


Call us on 020 3355 4047 if you’re not sure.