Starting a new business? Get 40% off our accountancy services for 3 months! 😀


Most people will pay the correct amount of tax each year. However, it is important to be able to check whether you are paying the right amount, so that you aren’t owed money at the end of the tax year or owe anything to HMRC. There are ways to check whether or not everything is in order, depending on whether you are within the PAYE system or self assessment

Self assessment

If you complete a self assessment tax return each year, you can either ask HMRC to calculate your tax for you or youTax Advice can work out the amount you owe. If you complete a tax return online, you will be informed immediately how much is owed. If you complete and submit a paper return before 31st October, HMRC will work out how much you owe and inform you by sending a calculation. You should check that all the figures are correct, as mistakes could lead to paying too much or owing HMRC.

Changes that could affect the amount you owe

If there are any changes in your personal circumstances, you should notify HMRC. These may include starting a second employment, starting to receive a pension, becoming self employed, or ceasing self employment. There are many other changes that could affect your tax bill at the end of the year.

Checking your code

Everyone over the age of 16 is entitled to personal allowances, which are basically the amount of income you can receive each financial year without paying tax. Your tax code will include your personal allowances, any deductions, and any expenses or other allowances that you are claiming. All deductions, which may include car benefits or your state pension, will be taken from the personal allowances to which you are entitled. The sum remaining is the amount of income you can receive without paying any tax. There are other, more complex scenarios, and you may need to seek professional advice.

When you receive a Notice of Coding, take the time to check all the figures and query anything you are unsure about. Your tax code will be calculated each year using the information which HMRC holds for you. If anything is incorrect, contact HMRC to have the details rectified. You will also find the tax code being used by an employer on your payslip or end of year P60 form.

About The Author

Karl Bilby

We work very closely with our expert accountants to bring you the latest factually correct tax and accounting news. We also enjoy writing about small business news that we hope you find useful!

More posts by this author
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

Read more posts...

Umbrella Companies for Self-Employed Contractors

When you set up in business as a contractor you might either work as a sole trader or as a limited company….

Read More

Get Ready for Small Business Saturday UK 2022

Small Business Saturday started in the US in 2010, on the first Saturday following Thanksgiving. It aims to encourage shoppers to consider…

Read More

Architects and Tax

Architecture is a highly diverse sector when it comes to tax. It’s partly down to the type of businesses that carry out…

Read More
Back to Blog...

Confirm Transactions

The number of monthly transactions you have entered based on your turnover seem high. A transaction is one bookkeeping entry such as a sale, purchase, payment or receipt. Are you sure this is correct?

Yes, submit my quote
No, let me change it

Please contact our sales team if you’re unsure

VAT Returns

It is unlikely you will need this service, unless you are voluntarily registered for VAT.

Are you sure this is correct?

Yes, the business is VAT registered
No, let me change it

Call us on 020 3355 4047 if you’re not sure.


You only need this service if you want us to complete the bookkeeping on your behalf.

Would you prefer to complete your own bookkeeping?


Call us on 020 3355 4047 if you’re not sure.