Starting a new business? Get 40% off our accountancy services for 3 months! 😀


If you decide to become self employed, you will be required to register with HM Revenue & Customs before completing your first self assessment tax return. You may also need to complete a tax return for other reasons, like having income from any property, which still requires you to register with HMRC.

Registering with HMRC will ensure that the correct records are set up, ensuring you pay the correct amount of tax andHMRC Advice National Insurance at the right time. If you already complete a self assessment tax return for another reason, and then later become self employed, you should still register with HMRC who will make sure your records are correct.

As soon as you know that you are self employed it is preferable to inform HMRC, as not informing HMRC in a timely manner may result in a penalty charge. You must register with HMRC no later than the 5th October following the tax year for when you need to complete a tax return. For instance, if you are self employed during 2011-12, you must inform HMRC by 5th October 2012.

It is possible to register online when you become self employed, which is the easiest and fastest method. HMRC will then create a self assessment record with a Unique Taxpayer Reference number, which is a reference number made up of ten digits. The UTR will be sent to you by HMRC and should be kept in a safe place as it is required when registering for the online services of HMRC or contacting them.

About The Author

Gary Fields

Content Writer working alongside our expert accountants to bring you the latest Tax and Accounting news.

More posts by this author
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

Read more posts...

Umbrella Companies for Self-Employed Contractors

When you set up in business as a contractor you might either work as a sole trader or as a limited company….

Read More

Get Ready for Small Business Saturday UK 2022

Small Business Saturday started in the US in 2010, on the first Saturday following Thanksgiving. It aims to encourage shoppers to consider…

Read More

Architects and Tax

Architecture is a highly diverse sector when it comes to tax. It’s partly down to the type of businesses that carry out…

Read More
Back to Blog...

Confirm Transactions

The number of monthly transactions you have entered based on your turnover seem high. A transaction is one bookkeeping entry such as a sale, purchase, payment or receipt. Are you sure this is correct?

Yes, submit my quote
No, let me change it

Please contact our sales team if you’re unsure

VAT Returns

It is unlikely you will need this service, unless you are voluntarily registered for VAT.

Are you sure this is correct?

Yes, the business is VAT registered
No, let me change it

Call us on 020 3355 4047 if you’re not sure.


You only need this service if you want us to complete the bookkeeping on your behalf.

Would you prefer to complete your own bookkeeping?


Call us on 020 3355 4047 if you’re not sure.