Starting a new business? Get 40% off our accountancy services for 3 months! 😀


A tax rebate is a refund of any tax paid which exceeds your tax liability. Everyone has to pay tax on any taxable income. However, there are some circumstances that may result in more tax being paid than is actually due during a particular tax year. If this is the case, you may claim a tax rebate.

A tax year runs from 6th April one year to 5th April in the next year. During this tax year you will be given a tax code which will be operated against your income during the year. Each person, whether employed or self employed is entitled to personal allowances which is an amount that can be earned, or other income without being taxed. The basic personal allowance for 2011-12 is £7475.

A person may pay an incorrect amount of tax if the wrong tax code is operated against income. For instance, code BR may be used which deducts tax at the basic rate without any personal allowances being given, resulting in more tax being paid than is due if this is your only income. Multiple employments or expenses being incurred during the course of your business may also result in a tax rebate being due.

If you are self employed, any tax rebate which is due will be calculated when your self assessment tax return is submitted to HM Revenue & Customs. If you are employed and change employments during the year you may receive your tax rebate through your wages, or alternatively contact HMRC.

Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

Read more posts...

Umbrella Companies for Self-Employed Contractors

When you set up in business as a contractor you might either work as a sole trader or as a limited company….

Read More

Get Ready for Small Business Saturday UK 2022

Small Business Saturday started in the US in 2010, on the first Saturday following Thanksgiving. It aims to encourage shoppers to consider…

Read More

Architects and Tax

Architecture is a highly diverse sector when it comes to tax. It’s partly down to the type of businesses that carry out…

Read More
Back to Blog...

Confirm Transactions

The number of monthly transactions you have entered based on your turnover seem high. A transaction is one bookkeeping entry such as a sale, purchase, payment or receipt. Are you sure this is correct?

Yes, submit my quote
No, let me change it

Please contact our sales team if you’re unsure

VAT Returns

It is unlikely you will need this service, unless you are voluntarily registered for VAT.

Are you sure this is correct?

Yes, the business is VAT registered
No, let me change it

Call us on 020 3355 4047 if you’re not sure.


You only need this service if you want us to complete the bookkeeping on your behalf.

Would you prefer to complete your own bookkeeping?


Call us on 020 3355 4047 if you’re not sure.