Starting a new business? Get 40% off our accountancy services for 3 months! 😀


When you decide to take on employees, there are a number of checks you must carry out initially. Before employing a person, you must decide what their employment status is and whether they are legally entitled to work for you. If you are employing staff for the first time, you may also need to register for a PAYE scheme with HM Revenue & Customs.

If an employee has another job, state pension or an occupational pension you will have to operate PAYE. You will also HMRC Advicehave to operate PAYE if you pay more than the earnings threshold, which varies each year. For the year 2012-13, the threshold is £156 per week, £675 per month and £8,105 for the year. You will have to consider the payment of wages, as the minimum wage rules apply.

All PAYE forms now have to be filed online, including forms P45 and form P46. If an employee has left another job before becoming employed by you, he will have a form P45 with details of pay and tax up to the date of leaving. If an employee doesn’t have this form, a P46 should be completed and submitted to HMRC. You also have the responsibility of deducting National Insurance and therefore have to ensure that an employee has a National Insurance number, or take steps to obtain it.

There are many scenarios which are treated slightly differently, like students, casual workers and others. It is advisable to seek professional advice to ensure you fulfil your legal obligation to HMRC.

About The Author

Kara Copple

An experienced business and finance writer, sometimes moonlighting as a fiction writer and blogger.

More posts by this author
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

Read more posts...

Architects and Tax

Architecture is a highly diverse sector when it comes to tax. It’s partly down to the type of businesses that carry out…

Read More

June 2022 Client of the Month: Manea Kella

This month we spoke to Adrian Manea, architect and director at Manea Kella, a London based RIBA Chartered architecture and interior design…

Read More

Succession Planning for Business Owners: What Comes Next?

When you own a business, it’s extremely normal to feel like you’re surviving one day to the next – ‘winging it’, as…

Read More
Back to Blog...

Confirm Transactions

The number of monthly transactions you have entered based on your turnover seem high. A transaction is one bookkeeping entry such as a sale, purchase, payment or receipt. Are you sure this is correct?

Yes, submit my quote
No, let me change it

Please contact our sales team if you’re unsure

VAT Returns

It is unlikely you will need this service, unless you are voluntarily registered for VAT.

Are you sure this is correct?

Yes, the business is VAT registered
No, let me change it

Call us on 020 3355 4047 if you’re not sure.


You only need this service if you want us to complete the bookkeeping on your behalf.

Would you prefer to complete your own bookkeeping?


Call us on 020 3355 4047 if you’re not sure.