Starting a new business? Get 40% off our accountancy services for 3 months! 😎


A pregnant woman, who has been employed for at least 26 weeks continuously up to and during the qualifying week, will be able to claim Statutory Maternity Pay from her employer. Other criteria that has to be satisfied includes telling your employer when you would like SMP to commence, providing medical evidence of your baby’s due date and having gross weekly pay which is at least the same as the lower earnings limit for National Insurance Contributions, currently £102 per week. However, if you are self employed you won’t be entitled to Statutory Maternity Pay, but may be able to claim Maternity Allowance if you meet the strict criteria.

You must have been registered as self employed for at least 26 weeks during the ‘test period’. This is the 66 weeks that run up to and include the week before the week of your baby’s due date. Partial weeks recognisedare counted as full weeks. Taking any 13 weeks during the test period, you should also average income of £30 a week. Earnings from self employment will be used to calculate entitlement to Maternity Allowance. Jobcentre Plus will look at whether you may be entitled to claim Employment and Support Allowance if you aren’t able to claim Maternity Allowance, which will be dealt with automatically.

Maternity Allowance is payable for up to 39 weeks, at a standard rate of £128.73 a week or 90 percent of your gross average earnings each week, whichever is the lower amount. The earliest date that Maternity Allowance will be paid is the 11th week before your baby’s due date. You must claim the allowance before the day after the birth of your baby. Maternity Allowance is paid direct into a bank or building society account, and is paid either every fortnight or every month.

If you receive Disability Living Allowance or tax credits, they won’t be affected by Maternity Allowance. However, certain other benefits may be affected, including housing benefit, income support, carer’s allowance, bereavement benefit, council tax benefit and Employment and Support Allowance. Any Jobseeker’s Allowance that you receive will cease when Maternity Allowance commences.

It is possible to claim Maternity Allowance as soon as your pregnancy reaches 26 weeks, providing medical evidence which is usually the maternity certificate provided by your midwife or doctor. The Small Earnings Exception certificate, if you hold one, should be sent in with your claim form. As a self employed person, you may work for up to 10 days without losing entitlement to Maternity Allowance.

About The Author

Gary Fields

Content Writer working alongside our expert accountants to bring you the latest Tax and Accounting news.

More posts by this author
Notify of
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

Read more posts...

What is a Non-Established Taxable Person for VAT?

There are special VAT rules in place for online sellers who are classed as non-established taxable persons (NETPs), and use an online…

Read More

The Accountancy Partnership – Our Positive Reviews

Here at The Accountancy Partnership, we’re proud of our customer reviews The reviews we receive from our customers show how hard we…

Read More

What Type of Legal Structure Should I Choose When I Start a Business?

The structure that you choose when you start a business affects how the business operates, the amount of tax you pay, how…

Read More
Back to Blog...

Confirm Transactions

The number of monthly transactions you have entered based on your turnover seem high. A transaction is one bookkeeping entry such as a sale, purchase, payment or receipt. Are you sure this is correct?

Yes, submit my quote
No, let me change it

Please contact our sales team if you’re unsure

VAT Returns

It is unlikely you will need this service, unless you are voluntarily registered for VAT.

Are you sure this is correct?

Yes, the business is VAT registered
No, let me change it

Call us on 020 3355 4047 if you’re not sure.


You will receive our bookkeeping software Pandle for free, as part of your package.

You can use this to complete your own bookkeeping, or we can provide a quote to complete your bookkeeping for you.

Please select and option below:

I will do my own bookkeeping
I want you to do my bookkeeping

Call us on 020 3355 4047 if you’re not sure.