Starting a new business? Get 40% off our accountancy services for 3 months! 😀


Being self-employed you can claim a number of business expenses, reliefs and deductions which will reduce your gross business profit. There are different rules which apply to different expenses, but mainly the expense has to be incurred ‘wholly and exclusively’ in the running of your business. It is possible to have some private benefit from an expense but it should either be incidental and not the main reason for the expense; or you can separate private and business use. The full expense may be deducted from your gross business profits.

One of the most common expenses incurred when running a business is motoring expenses. Capital allowances may be claimed for the cost of your car, even if it is bought using Hire Purchase. If the car is used for business and private use, only the business proportion will be allowable. Annual Investment Allowance isn’t permitted for the cost of cars. If a car is used for business and private use, it has to be entered as a single asset pool. The calculation of allowances which are due is dependent on date the car was purchased, the cost and if the car was purchased on or after 6th April 2009, the CO2 emissions.

The rules for cars purchased on or after 6th April 2009 are based on the CO2 emissions. A car which has emissions of more than 160g/km is put in the special rate pool and is eligible for 10 percent writing down allowances. If the emissions are 160g/km or less goes into the main pool and is eligible for 20 percent writing down allowances. A car with 110g/km or less will qualify for 100 percent first year allowance. The rules concerning car deductions are complex, which is why professional advice should be sought.

Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

Read more posts...

Get Ready for Small Business Saturday UK 2022

Small Business Saturday started in the US in 2010, on the first Saturday following Thanksgiving. It aims to encourage shoppers to consider…

Read More

Architects and Tax

Architecture is a highly diverse sector when it comes to tax. It’s partly down to the type of businesses that carry out…

Read More

June 2022 Client of the Month: Manea Kella

This month we spoke to Adrian Manea, architect and director at Manea Kella, a London based RIBA Chartered architecture and interior design…

Read More
Back to Blog...

Confirm Transactions

The number of monthly transactions you have entered based on your turnover seem high. A transaction is one bookkeeping entry such as a sale, purchase, payment or receipt. Are you sure this is correct?

Yes, submit my quote
No, let me change it

Please contact our sales team if you’re unsure

VAT Returns

It is unlikely you will need this service, unless you are voluntarily registered for VAT.

Are you sure this is correct?

Yes, the business is VAT registered
No, let me change it

Call us on 020 3355 4047 if you’re not sure.


You only need this service if you want us to complete the bookkeeping on your behalf.

Would you prefer to complete your own bookkeeping?


Call us on 020 3355 4047 if you’re not sure.