Starting a new business? Get 40% off our accountancy services for 3 months! 😀


If you start a sole trader business, registering for self assessment with HMRC is a simple process which just involves completing a form providing details of your business. The form is called a CWF1 form and requires only basic details such as your personal information, the name and nature of your business and when you started working for yourself. All you have to do is complete and sign the form and return it to HMRC. The CWF1 form can be obtained via HMRC’s website or, if you already have an accountant, they should provide one for you.

Registering your limited company with HMRC should only be done once it has started to trade and involves a similar process. Again, you must complete, sign and return a form to HMRC. To register your company for corporation tax you must complete a CT41G form which asks for straightforward information about the company and its directors. If you already have an accountant, they should also be able to provide this form for you.

If you have recently set up a partnership, registering it with HMRC also involves the completion of a form. This form is called an SA400 and should be completed by a nominated partner. The form requests details of the partnership itself for example, its name and partnership type, along with details of the nominated partner. Additional partners should then each complete and return an SA401 form to HMRC also.

At The Accountancy Partnership, we provide all necessary forms that you need and can check these for you once completed before we forward them to HMRC on your behalf. If you would like to discuss the services we can offer your business or receive a quotation please do not hesitate to phone or email us, or alternatively, you can simply use the live chat link available.

About The Author

Lee Murphy

MAAT and ICPA accountant, with a passion for making accountancy and bookkeeping accessible. Other interests include cloud-based software development for web and mobile access, keeping fit, reading, and entrepreneurship.

More posts by this author
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

Read more posts...

Get Ready for Small Business Saturday UK 2022

Small Business Saturday started in the US in 2010, on the first Saturday following Thanksgiving. It aims to encourage shoppers to consider…

Read More

Architects and Tax

Architecture is a highly diverse sector when it comes to tax. It’s partly down to the type of businesses that carry out…

Read More

June 2022 Client of the Month: Manea Kella

This month we spoke to Adrian Manea, architect and director at Manea Kella, a London based RIBA Chartered architecture and interior design…

Read More
Back to Blog...

Confirm Transactions

The number of monthly transactions you have entered based on your turnover seem high. A transaction is one bookkeeping entry such as a sale, purchase, payment or receipt. Are you sure this is correct?

Yes, submit my quote
No, let me change it

Please contact our sales team if you’re unsure

VAT Returns

It is unlikely you will need this service, unless you are voluntarily registered for VAT.

Are you sure this is correct?

Yes, the business is VAT registered
No, let me change it

Call us on 020 3355 4047 if you’re not sure.


You only need this service if you want us to complete the bookkeeping on your behalf.

Would you prefer to complete your own bookkeeping?


Call us on 020 3355 4047 if you’re not sure.