Starting a new business? Get 40% off our accountancy services for 3 months! 😀


Once you become self employed it is crucial to register with HM Revenue & Customs immediately so that you can pay the correct amount of tax and National Insurance Contributions. Failing to inform HMRC could incur penalties. The income tax that is due on self employed income is calculated when your self assessment tax return has been submitted to HMRC. Self employed people have to pay both Class 2 National Insurance Contributions and Class 4 contributions.

If profit is above £5,315 a year, Class 2 NICs are payable at £2.50 a week. If profit is below this level, you may apply for exemption. However, Class 2 NICs count towards some state benefits like the basic state pension or bereavement allowance, so consideration is advisable if claiming exemption. Class 2 National Insurance Contributions don’t count HMRC Advicetowards Jobseeker’s Allowance and additional State Pension, so alternative arrangements should be considered, like an insurance policy to protect loss of income, or a personal pension. Share fishermen who pay Class 2 NICs are an exception as their contributions do count towards Jobseeker’s Allowance.

Class 4 National Insurance Contributions are calculated as a percentage of your profits for the year. Yearly profits which are between £7,225 and £42,475 attract a nine percent deduction for Class 4 NICs. Any profit above that amount is payable at an extra two percent. Class 4 National Insurance Contributions are calculated along with income tax through your self assessment tax return. Class 4 contributions don’t count towards any state benefits.

About The Author

Kara Copple

An experienced business and finance writer, sometimes moonlighting as a fiction writer and blogger.

More posts by this author
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

Read more posts...

Umbrella Companies for Self-Employed Contractors

When you set up in business as a contractor you might either work as a sole trader or as a limited company….

Read More

Get Ready for Small Business Saturday UK 2022

Small Business Saturday started in the US in 2010, on the first Saturday following Thanksgiving. It aims to encourage shoppers to consider…

Read More

Architects and Tax

Architecture is a highly diverse sector when it comes to tax. It’s partly down to the type of businesses that carry out…

Read More
Back to Blog...

Confirm Transactions

The number of monthly transactions you have entered based on your turnover seem high. A transaction is one bookkeeping entry such as a sale, purchase, payment or receipt. Are you sure this is correct?

Yes, submit my quote
No, let me change it

Please contact our sales team if you’re unsure

VAT Returns

It is unlikely you will need this service, unless you are voluntarily registered for VAT.

Are you sure this is correct?

Yes, the business is VAT registered
No, let me change it

Call us on 020 3355 4047 if you’re not sure.


You only need this service if you want us to complete the bookkeeping on your behalf.

Would you prefer to complete your own bookkeeping?


Call us on 020 3355 4047 if you’re not sure.