Starting a new business? Get 40% off our accountancy services for 3 months! 😀


A limit applies to the amount of National Insurance a person has to pay each year. If you pay too much National Insurance, it is possible to claim it back. This also applies to voluntary contributions which are made. There are various reasons why a person may have paid too much National Insurance.

If you have more than one job and the total earnings from all jobs each week amounts to £844 a week, you may have paid too much National Insurance. Anyone who is self employed and pays Class 2 National Insurance contributions may have overpaid if they have profits of £5075, which is the figure for 2010-11. If self employment ceases, it is possible to continue to pay Class 2 National Insurance contributions in error, and may be due to a refund.

Anyone is employed and self employed during the same year, may have overpaid on Class 1, 2 and 4 National Insurance contributions, but will be able to claim it back. When a person reaches state retirement age, they no longer have to pay National Insurance contributions, but it is possible for an employer to deduct contributions in error or if you are self employed, continue paying in error.

HMRC will usually notify you if you have paid more than £48.50 over the yearly limit for Class 1 or 2 contributions, or you can write to HMRC if you think you have paid too much. Class 4 contributions may be claimed back by completing form CA5610. If you believe that you have overpaid National Insurance contributions, or paid when you don’t have to, contact HMRC to claim a refund.

Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

Read more posts...

Umbrella Companies for Self-Employed Contractors

When you set up in business as a contractor you might either work as a sole trader or as a limited company….

Read More

Get Ready for Small Business Saturday UK 2022

Small Business Saturday started in the US in 2010, on the first Saturday following Thanksgiving. It aims to encourage shoppers to consider…

Read More

Architects and Tax

Architecture is a highly diverse sector when it comes to tax. It’s partly down to the type of businesses that carry out…

Read More
Back to Blog...

Confirm Transactions

The number of monthly transactions you have entered based on your turnover seem high. A transaction is one bookkeeping entry such as a sale, purchase, payment or receipt. Are you sure this is correct?

Yes, submit my quote
No, let me change it

Please contact our sales team if you’re unsure

VAT Returns

It is unlikely you will need this service, unless you are voluntarily registered for VAT.

Are you sure this is correct?

Yes, the business is VAT registered
No, let me change it

Call us on 020 3355 4047 if you’re not sure.


You only need this service if you want us to complete the bookkeeping on your behalf.

Would you prefer to complete your own bookkeeping?


Call us on 020 3355 4047 if you’re not sure.