Starting a new business? Get 40% off our accountancy services for 3 months! 😀


One of the most intimidating aspects of freelance life can be the idea of staying on top of taxes. Without an employer to provide regular pay and make tax deductions, it can be easy to lose the plot and let tax obligations slip your mind.

Here are the key dates that all UK freelancers (and anyone who is self-employed) need to keep in mind throughout the financial year. We also have this short video!



31st January

This is the submission deadline for the online tax return which relates to the previous tax year. So, if you need to submit a tax return for the tax year which ends in the previous April, submit it by this date. It’s also the payment deadline for that period.

5th April

This is the final day of the tax year. You’ll be able to submit your Self Assessment tax return for this tax year from the 6th April onwards. HMRC will send you a reminder notice if you’ve already registered as self-employed.

31st July (after the end of the tax year)

The second payment on account for the tax year ending on the previous 5th April) is due on July 31st of each year.

Tax return services

5th October (following the end of the previous tax year)

You must register for Self Assessment by this deadline, if you need to tell HMRC about untaxed income from the previous tax year.

31st October (following the end of the previous tax year)

October 31st is the deadline for sending HMRC a paper tax return. If you send a paper form in after this date, you will be penalised (even if you owe no tax). So, before you head out for Hallowe’en, make sure you have sent in that return!

30th December (following the end of the previous tax year)

December 30th is the deadline for filing your tax return online if you are claiming pension income or employment income, and you want to collect your tax through your PAYE code.

About The Author

Beth-Anne Bruce

I'm an experienced and fully AAT and ACCA qualified accountant, who is enthusiastic about helping business owners succeed. I also love cooking and needlepoint (at different times!). Learn more about Beth.

More posts by this author
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

Read more posts...

Umbrella Companies for Self-Employed Contractors

When you set up in business as a contractor you might either work as a sole trader or as a limited company….

Read More

Get Ready for Small Business Saturday UK 2022

Small Business Saturday started in the US in 2010, on the first Saturday following Thanksgiving. It aims to encourage shoppers to consider…

Read More

Architects and Tax

Architecture is a highly diverse sector when it comes to tax. It’s partly down to the type of businesses that carry out…

Read More
Back to Blog...

Confirm Transactions

The number of monthly transactions you have entered based on your turnover seem high. A transaction is one bookkeeping entry such as a sale, purchase, payment or receipt. Are you sure this is correct?

Yes, submit my quote
No, let me change it

Please contact our sales team if you’re unsure

VAT Returns

It is unlikely you will need this service, unless you are voluntarily registered for VAT.

Are you sure this is correct?

Yes, the business is VAT registered
No, let me change it

Call us on 020 3355 4047 if you’re not sure.


You only need this service if you want us to complete the bookkeeping on your behalf.

Would you prefer to complete your own bookkeeping?


Call us on 020 3355 4047 if you’re not sure.