Starting a new business? Get 40% off our accountancy services for 3 months! 😀


Self-employed income can fluctuate so there may be occasions that you need to reduce your payments on account towards your Self Assessment tax bill.

Fortunately, it is possible to request the payment amounts be reduced. This is done by submitting an SA303 form either online or by post.

How many payments can I make towards my Self Assessment bill?

As long as you pay the right amount by the correct deadline, you can make as many payments towards the bill as you like. If you’re required to make payments on account, you have two deadline payments to think about.

At least half of the amount payable is due by 31st July, and the balancing payment by 31st January.

Remember, with payments on account the amounts payable are worked out based on what HMRC think you need to pay as a result of the previous year’s return – not what you think you need to pay this year.

What happens if my payments on account are wrong?

If you ask to reduce your payments on account and this results in an underpayment, you’ll be required to pay the difference, plus interest earned. Overpayments are refunded by HMRC. Your payments on account for the next year will be based on the lower figure.

If you request a reduction and then your profits for the year increase, you should notify HMRC.

Following submission of your completed tax return you will receive a self-assessment statement telling you how much tax you owe by 31st January. If you believe that your next year’s income will be much less, you can complete form SA303 to apply to make lower payments on account.

Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

Read more posts...

June 2022 Client of the Month: Manea Kella

This month we spoke to Adrian Manea, architect and director at Manea Kella, a London based RIBA Chartered architecture and interior design…

Read More

Succession Planning for Business Owners: What Comes Next?

When you own a business, it’s extremely normal to feel like you’re surviving one day to the next – ‘winging it’, as…

Read More

The Accountancy Partnership – Our Positive Reviews

Here at The Accountancy Partnership, we’re proud of our customer reviews The reviews we receive from our customers show how hard we…

Read More
Back to Blog...

Confirm Transactions

The number of monthly transactions you have entered based on your turnover seem high. A transaction is one bookkeeping entry such as a sale, purchase, payment or receipt. Are you sure this is correct?

Yes, submit my quote
No, let me change it

Please contact our sales team if you’re unsure

VAT Returns

It is unlikely you will need this service, unless you are voluntarily registered for VAT.

Are you sure this is correct?

Yes, the business is VAT registered
No, let me change it

Call us on 020 3355 4047 if you’re not sure.


You only need this service if you want us to complete the bookkeeping on your behalf.

Would you prefer to complete your own bookkeeping?


Call us on 020 3355 4047 if you’re not sure.