Starting a new business? Get 40% off our accountancy services for 3 months! 😀


There are a variety of reasons why you may need to complete a self-assessment tax return. This might be because your self-employed earnings are over the trading allowance, or you receive dividends as the director of a company.

How do I tell HMRC about my self-employed income?

Once you have registered with HMRC for Self Assessment, they will send you a Unique Taxpayer Reference number. You can use this to send an annual Self Assessment tax return, either online or using a postal SA100 form. If you do use the postal form and have self-employed income, you will also need to complete a SA103 form. This is the part of the tax return that deals with self-employed earnings.

How often do I need to tell HMRC about my self-employment?

Usually you will only need to update HMRC using your annual Self Assessment tax return once a year, unless something changes. If anything does change in the middle of the year, such as change in the structure of your business, or you cease trading, you will need to let them know.
accounting services for sole traders

Why do I need to submit a tax return?

A self-assessment tax return is necessary so that HMRC are informed of all your income. They use this information to ensure that the correct amount of income tax and National Insurance is paid each year.

If you’re a partner in a partnership, you’ll also need to ensure that the partnership submits a tax return. Each partner is also required to submit their personal Self Assessment, too.

Once you have completed and submitted form SA103 to HMRC you will receive a Statement of Account showing the amount of tax you owe, the tax you have already paid and the final amount of tax owing. All income tax and National Insurance should be paid in full by 31st January each year. This is also the filing deadline for submitting your tax return online. The deadline for a paper tax return is 31st October each year.

Talk to an advisor about our online accounting services by calling 020 3355 4047, or get an instant quote online.

Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

Read more posts...

Umbrella Companies for Self-Employed Contractors

When you set up in business as a contractor you might either work as a sole trader or as a limited company….

Read More

Get Ready for Small Business Saturday UK 2022

Small Business Saturday started in the US in 2010, on the first Saturday following Thanksgiving. It aims to encourage shoppers to consider…

Read More

Architects and Tax

Architecture is a highly diverse sector when it comes to tax. It’s partly down to the type of businesses that carry out…

Read More
Back to Blog...

Confirm Transactions

The number of monthly transactions you have entered based on your turnover seem high. A transaction is one bookkeeping entry such as a sale, purchase, payment or receipt. Are you sure this is correct?

Yes, submit my quote
No, let me change it

Please contact our sales team if you’re unsure

VAT Returns

It is unlikely you will need this service, unless you are voluntarily registered for VAT.

Are you sure this is correct?

Yes, the business is VAT registered
No, let me change it

Call us on 020 3355 4047 if you’re not sure.


You only need this service if you want us to complete the bookkeeping on your behalf.

Would you prefer to complete your own bookkeeping?


Call us on 020 3355 4047 if you’re not sure.