Starting a new business? Get 40% off our accountancy services for 3 months! 😀


If you are bringing up a child or children, you may be entitled to claim Child Benefit. This is a tax free benefit payable to someone responsible for raising a child under the age of 16 (or 20, in some cases)

How do I claim Child Benefit?

You’ll need to fill in form CH2 once the birth of your child has been registered, or once they come to live with you.

A claim can be made for a child who is aged 16 or under. If you are responsible for a child younger than 20 years old, you may still be able to claim Child Benefit if they are in full time education, approved training or non-advanced education.

Is there a limit to claiming Child Benefit?

There are no restrictions on how many children you claim Child Benefit for, but there are other considerations. If you or your partner earn more than £50,000 per year then you may be required to repay part of the Child Benefit you receive, or you might receive less.

Only one person can claim for a child, so you may need to discuss this if there is another person responsible for raising the child. The benefit can’t be split between parents or carers. It isn’t necessary to be the child’s parent and you may also be eligible to claim if you don’t live with the child. If you submit a claim for Child Benefit on form CH2 and another person also makes a claim, HMRC will let you know that someone else has claimed.

Do I receive National Insurance credits for Child Benefit?

If you claim Child Benefit then you will receive weekly credits for your National Insurance contributions. This will ensure that your entitlement to a State Pension isn’t affected.

How often is Child Benefit paid?

Child Benefit is typically paid on a four-weekly basis, although it can be paid on a weekly basis if you are bringing up your child or children alone. It might also be paid weekly if you receive Income Support, Jobseeker’s Allowance or certain other benefits.

Child Benefit is paid into a bank account, building society account or a card account from the Post Office. The benefit cannot be paid into the account of a child.

Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

Read more posts...

Get Ready for Small Business Saturday UK 2022

Small Business Saturday started in the US in 2010, on the first Saturday following Thanksgiving. It aims to encourage shoppers to consider…

Read More

Architects and Tax

Architecture is a highly diverse sector when it comes to tax. It’s partly down to the type of businesses that carry out…

Read More

June 2022 Client of the Month: Manea Kella

This month we spoke to Adrian Manea, architect and director at Manea Kella, a London based RIBA Chartered architecture and interior design…

Read More
Back to Blog...

Confirm Transactions

The number of monthly transactions you have entered based on your turnover seem high. A transaction is one bookkeeping entry such as a sale, purchase, payment or receipt. Are you sure this is correct?

Yes, submit my quote
No, let me change it

Please contact our sales team if you’re unsure

VAT Returns

It is unlikely you will need this service, unless you are voluntarily registered for VAT.

Are you sure this is correct?

Yes, the business is VAT registered
No, let me change it

Call us on 020 3355 4047 if you’re not sure.


You only need this service if you want us to complete the bookkeeping on your behalf.

Would you prefer to complete your own bookkeeping?


Call us on 020 3355 4047 if you’re not sure.