Starting a new business? Get 40% off our accountancy services for 3 months! 😀


The SC2 form is for employees who have been off-sick for four or more consecutive days, and need to self-certify in order for their employer to pay them Statutory Sick Pay.

Why do I need an SC2 sickness form?

If you’re ill for seven days or less then you don’t need a doctor’s fit note (also known as a sick note). Instead, your employer might ask you to fill in an SC2 form to self-certify that you have been off sick.

Where can I get a self-certification SC2 form?

An employee can complete the statement of sickness SC2 form online on HMRC’s website.

Does an employee always receive Statutory Sick Pay?

To qualify for Statutory Sick Pay, an employee must have been ill for four days or more. The first three days of the illness are not covered by SSP, and are recognised as ‘waiting days’. SSP is only payable for qualifying days, which are the days that a person is contracted to work.

managed payroll services
The employe must also receive an average weekly wage which is the same or more than the Lower Earnings Limit. To average earnings for SSP are calculated using pay in the eight weeks leading up to the period of illness.

Employers aren’t allowed to ask for medical evidence of an illness until an employee has been off work for seven days, when medical evidence from a doctor may be sought. An employer can refuse to pay SSP if they have a good reason to believe that an employee isn’t ill, even if they have medical evidence. An employer may ask for further evidence of an illness with the employee’s permission, by:

About The Author

Gary Fields

Content Writer working alongside our expert accountants to bring you the latest Tax and Accounting news.

More posts by this author
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

Read more posts...

June 2022 Client of the Month: Manea Kella

This month we spoke to Adrian Manea, architect and director at Manea Kella, a London based RIBA Chartered architecture and interior design…

Read More

Succession Planning for Business Owners: What Comes Next?

When you own a business, it’s extremely normal to feel like you’re surviving one day to the next – ‘winging it’, as…

Read More

The Accountancy Partnership – Our Positive Reviews

Here at The Accountancy Partnership, we’re proud of our customer reviews The reviews we receive from our customers show how hard we…

Read More
Back to Blog...

Confirm Transactions

The number of monthly transactions you have entered based on your turnover seem high. A transaction is one bookkeeping entry such as a sale, purchase, payment or receipt. Are you sure this is correct?

Yes, submit my quote
No, let me change it

Please contact our sales team if you’re unsure

VAT Returns

It is unlikely you will need this service, unless you are voluntarily registered for VAT.

Are you sure this is correct?

Yes, the business is VAT registered
No, let me change it

Call us on 020 3355 4047 if you’re not sure.


You only need this service if you want us to complete the bookkeeping on your behalf.

Would you prefer to complete your own bookkeeping?


Call us on 020 3355 4047 if you’re not sure.