Starting a new business? Get 40% off our accountancy services for 3 months! 😀


A Self Assessment tax return is sent out each year to anyone who fulfils specified criteria. You may have a type of income which is less common, or a deduction or tax relief which requires additional information. If this applies to you, request a form SA101, so that you can give HM Revenue & Customs additional information. You may also want to inform HMRC of Income Tax losses, participation in a tax avoidance scheme or pension charges, which can be done using form SA101.

Some of the additional information you may want to provide includes details of life insurance gains or interest from gilt-edged or UK securities. The self employed will use the form to tell HMRC about trading HMRC Advicelosses, or business receipts which are to be taxed as income from an earlier year. Seafarers’ earnings deduction is declared on a form SA101, but only applies to anyone who works on a ship. Off shore workers or people who work on rigs do not qualify for the deduction. When completing the SA101 with details of seafarers’ earnings deduction, the name of all ships worked on will be required.

Foreign earnings also appear on form SA101, which requires details of the income and the tax paid overseas. Venture Capital Trusts and Enterprise Investment Scheme are also less common and require form SA101. Tax relief is given to participants in these schemes, and information will be required by HMRC. There are a number of income types which will be declared on form SA101, from shares to married couple’s allowance.

Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

Read more posts...

Umbrella Companies for Self-Employed Contractors

When you set up in business as a contractor you might either work as a sole trader or as a limited company….

Read More

Get Ready for Small Business Saturday UK 2022

Small Business Saturday started in the US in 2010, on the first Saturday following Thanksgiving. It aims to encourage shoppers to consider…

Read More

Architects and Tax

Architecture is a highly diverse sector when it comes to tax. It’s partly down to the type of businesses that carry out…

Read More
Back to Blog...

Confirm Transactions

The number of monthly transactions you have entered based on your turnover seem high. A transaction is one bookkeeping entry such as a sale, purchase, payment or receipt. Are you sure this is correct?

Yes, submit my quote
No, let me change it

Please contact our sales team if you’re unsure

VAT Returns

It is unlikely you will need this service, unless you are voluntarily registered for VAT.

Are you sure this is correct?

Yes, the business is VAT registered
No, let me change it

Call us on 020 3355 4047 if you’re not sure.


You only need this service if you want us to complete the bookkeeping on your behalf.

Would you prefer to complete your own bookkeeping?


Call us on 020 3355 4047 if you’re not sure.