Starting a new business? Get 40% off our accountancy services for 3 months! 😀


The P85 postal form is used to notify HMRC if you’re leaving the UK, either permanently or for a minimum of 1 year. You can also notify them online.

Do I need to complete a P85 form?

HMRC need to know that you are leaving the UK if you have been living and working in the UK. This is to make sure that you pay the right amount of tax, and so that you can claim any tax relief or refund due to you. The P85 form is used to notify HMRC of these changes, and is used as a postal alternative to applying online using a government gateway account, or it can be used by your agent on your behalf.

You won’t need to notify HMRC if you’re only leaving for a short business trip, or to go on holiday. You’ll only need to submit a claim if you are expecting to leave the UK permanently, or for a minimum of one full tax year.

Do I still need to complete a P85 if I’m self-employed?

You don’t need to complete the form (or claim online) you normally submit a Self Assessment tax return and need to submit one for the tax year that you leave.

About The Author

Gary Fields

Content Writer working alongside our expert accountants to bring you the latest Tax and Accounting news.

More posts by this author
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

Read more posts...

Architects and Tax

Architecture is a highly diverse sector when it comes to tax. It’s partly down to the type of businesses that carry out…

Read More

June 2022 Client of the Month: Manea Kella

This month we spoke to Adrian Manea, architect and director at Manea Kella, a London based RIBA Chartered architecture and interior design…

Read More

Succession Planning for Business Owners: What Comes Next?

When you own a business, it’s extremely normal to feel like you’re surviving one day to the next – ‘winging it’, as…

Read More
Back to Blog...

Confirm Transactions

The number of monthly transactions you have entered based on your turnover seem high. A transaction is one bookkeeping entry such as a sale, purchase, payment or receipt. Are you sure this is correct?

Yes, submit my quote
No, let me change it

Please contact our sales team if you’re unsure

VAT Returns

It is unlikely you will need this service, unless you are voluntarily registered for VAT.

Are you sure this is correct?

Yes, the business is VAT registered
No, let me change it

Call us on 020 3355 4047 if you’re not sure.


You only need this service if you want us to complete the bookkeeping on your behalf.

Would you prefer to complete your own bookkeeping?


Call us on 020 3355 4047 if you’re not sure.