Starting a new business? Get 40% off our accountancy services for 3 months! 😀


Most people don’t need to register for Self Assessment unless they’re self-employed, but there are exceptions.

Who needs to submit a Self Assessment if they’re not self-employed?

HMRC need to know about any income you might earn, to ensure you pay the right amount of tax due. Not all earnings come from employed or self-employed work, so you might need to register for Self Assessment to tell HMRC about income from another source. This might be the case if:

How do I register for Self Assessment if I’m not self-employed?

To register for Self Assessment if you’re not self-employed, you can either complete and submit a SA1 form by post, or register online.

When should I register?

You need to register for Self Assessment before 5th October, if you did not send a tax return last year. Your first tax return will be due 31st January the following calendar year if you submit online. The deadline is 31st October the same year, if you submit a paper return.

What happens after I register for Self Assessment?

Once you register for Self Assessment, HMRC will send you a Unique Taxpayer Reference (UTR). You will also receive reminders when your tax return is due. If your situation changes, and you no longer need to submit, you should let HMRC know as soon as possible.

You can sign up for HMRC’s online services, and use this to complete your SA tax return. You’ll receive an activation code, which can take a few weeks to arrive. Just be sure to register in plenty of time to submit your return.

You can also submit a postal form, just remember that the deadline for paper returns is 31st October.

Learn more about how our online accountants can help you and your business. Call 020 3355 4047, or get an instant tailored quote online.

1 Comment
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Martin Walby
Martin Walby
26th November 2012 5:44 pm

I note that in the “reasons why you may need a return” list it states “if you become a director of a company”. My understanding of the legislation is that it is not a mandatory requirement to inform HMRC when a person becomes a director of a company, providing of course none of the other items shown in the list are applicable. HMRC may however request that an SA1 is completed. In most circumstances, unless the person is a director of a company with whom he is not an employee, directors are paid through the payroll and subject to PAYE/NI… Read more »

Read more posts...

June 2022 Client of the Month: Manea Kella

This month we spoke to Adrian Manea, architect and director at Manea Kella, a London based RIBA Chartered architecture and interior design…

Read More

Succession Planning for Business Owners: What Comes Next?

When you own a business, it’s extremely normal to feel like you’re surviving one day to the next – ‘winging it’, as…

Read More

The Accountancy Partnership – Our Positive Reviews

Here at The Accountancy Partnership, we’re proud of our customer reviews The reviews we receive from our customers show how hard we…

Read More
Back to Blog...

Confirm Transactions

The number of monthly transactions you have entered based on your turnover seem high. A transaction is one bookkeeping entry such as a sale, purchase, payment or receipt. Are you sure this is correct?

Yes, submit my quote
No, let me change it

Please contact our sales team if you’re unsure

VAT Returns

It is unlikely you will need this service, unless you are voluntarily registered for VAT.

Are you sure this is correct?

Yes, the business is VAT registered
No, let me change it

Call us on 020 3355 4047 if you’re not sure.


You only need this service if you want us to complete the bookkeeping on your behalf.

Would you prefer to complete your own bookkeeping?


Call us on 020 3355 4047 if you’re not sure.